pellets going out, or barely smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes I run a inkbird in addition to my pid. I ran my inkbird when I had the stock controller also. That’s how I know how poor the actual temps were when I used the stock controller. I checked my inkbird and pid for accuracy

Well an update to my issue. I finally got to smoke some more meat today and am not pleased with the progress. I heated the pellets in the microwave for 2 minutes (per suggestions on here), and lit with torch for a minute. then let them burn for 5 minutes before blowing them our an placing them in the heated up smoker box. I had the original wood chip dump tray pulled out and just resting on the ledge to allow more air flow. I had two rows of chips in the tray and they stopped smoking at the turn for the first row. Only one row smoked and then they went out. Stinks as I have used this for years without issue and now I am having issues. the tray is cleaned and should allow plenty air flow.

Well an update to my issue. I finally got to smoke some more meat today and am not pleased with the progress. I heated the pellets in the microwave for 2 minutes (per suggestions on here), and lit with torch for a minute. then let them burn for 5 minutes before blowing them our an placing them in the heated up smoker box. I had the original wood chip dump tray pulled out and just resting on the ledge to allow more air flow. I had two rows of chips in the tray and they stopped smoking at the turn for the first row. Only one row smoked and then they went out. Stinks as I have used this for years without issue and now I am having issues. the tray is cleaned and should allow plenty air flow.

You mean pellets? At the corner of the amnps, many of us recommend putting a little extra pellets to help make the turn. Do you have pics of your setup? I have never used a microwave or oven to warm or dry the pellets. I run the torch along each row back and forth for 3-4 passes on top as well as along the bottom. Then I torch the beginning of the first row for a couple minutes, let it burn for 5+ minutes, then blow it out.

Last edited:
Get the tray going outside on a non combustible surface and let it smoke till it turns the corner, if it turns the corner ok then put it in the smoker with the chip loading tube out and see what happens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky