pellets going out, or barely smoking.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

$mok!ng

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 12, 2019
NE Michigan
I have a AMNPS for my masterbuilt and have successfully used it for years. Recently I upgraded my units controller to an Auber and since then (possibly coincidence) my pellets seem to not smoke much, if at all. I used to get about 4 hours per row on the AMNPS, which is typical, now I am lucky to be able to keep the pellets smoking. The pellets are the same I have always used, as I bought a 40lb sack and keep them in a bucket with lid. I dont put any water or liquid in my smoke box so thats not the issue. I also have been warming the pellets in the oven prior to lighting them, to warm them up and maybe dry them out (doubt they need it). Warming the pellets does seem to help but I am getting very limited smoke and a row is lasting significantly longer than it used to. I have tried moving the exhaust vent (typically wide open) to no avail. Do I need to drill extra holes in the old smoke tray to bring in more oxygen? Any other tips?

Wow, wish I could help but I'm at a loss. Only thing that comes to mind that could have changed is pellet moisture or air flow.

What were you getting for hours prior to the Auber upgrade?

Your AMNPS might actually being working the way was intended (10+ hours of smoke).

I get about 4 hours per row, which would be about 12 hours total. I was thinking the pellets but I just cant see how they would have gone bad, in a bucket with a lid on it. I could probably get about 8 hours per row at its current rate, which would be half the smoke I should be getting.

I have a MES 30" nothing has changed other than the auber which has accurate temperature. Now when I smoke at 225 its accurate, previously it ran much cooler than what it was set at with factory controls.

I would try microwaving the pellets for 2 minutes before I loaded them to light, it helps get them started and burning better imo, any longer than 2 minutes and they will start smoking on the plate in the microwave lol , makes the wife mad for days

• Haha
Reactions: bill1
Not sure how the microwave would be any different than the oven that I have been using. The screens are clean on the amnps. Yes I have a chip loader, so next time I will introduce a little more air flow.

Your smoker does NOT have the temp spikes with the Auber... The pellet tray is running cooler and burning longer..

Not really Dave. Previously if I set me temp to 225 I would be lucky if the high end of the spike reached 220. So actually the tray is hotter with the Auber.

I have a MES 30" nothing has changed other than the auber which has accurate temperature. Now when I smoke at 225 its accurate, previously it ran much cooler than what it was set at with factory controls.

So when you were running the MES30 with factory controls at 225, what was the actual temp? How much cooler?

Not really Dave. Previously if I set me temp to 225 I would be lucky if the high end of the spike reached 220. So actually the tray is hotter with the Auber.

Well, what else are you omitting so we can't accurately help you out ??

All the facts would be a great help...

Dave its tuff to say what the actual temp was at previously because it would be all over the place. I would say that if I set the temp to 225 actual temp would range from 200-215ish

Probably not doing much just warming pellets in oven if not leaving for couple hrs low temp. Microwave 1 min, open door allow to cool slightly, mix around and do another min. They may ignite if going much more at a time. Chip tube, pull out just about all the way as Jim stated.
Let us know results.

top vent all the way open?
Putting the amnps on "stilts" (four #8 or #10 screws for legs) can help get some more air on the fuel.
Moving it closer to the heat source works in principle, but in practice the amnps likes things constant and the electric cookers cycle on and off very dramatically so I don't encourage this.
Creating more openings (e.g. the hopper feeder) gives more air flow, but not necessarily where you now want it, which is at your amnps, so if you aren't pretty sure how the air is moving in your smoker, you might try relocating the amnps.

Am I correct that when you were running the stock controller, you did not have an additional thermometer running to tell you the real temp at any moment? Even with a PID, I still run my Thermoworks Smoke with a wireless receiver, so I can know the true temp while sitting in my kitchen. Something to consider.

Reactions: Winterrider
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky