Pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jsamps91

Original poster
Mar 2, 2020
Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to smoking meat. Ive been doing as much research as I can on what pellet grill to get. I think at this point its between camp chef and pit boss. I just wanted to get some suggestions. I for sure want a pellet and ash dump on the smoker. When I was at Walmart I did see a new smoker that did come out but cant find great reviews yet since it is new. It Is the Cuisinart Woodcreek. Has anyone used this yet?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum and new to smoking meat. Ive been doing as much research as I can on what pellet grill to get. I think at this point its between camp chef and pit boss. I just wanted to get some suggestions. I for sure want a pellet and ash dump on the smoker. When I was at Walmart I did see a new smoker that did come out but cant find great reviews yet since it is new. It Is the Cuisinart Woodcreek. Has anyone used this yet?

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there! Lots of people love pit bosses on this forum. I hear good things about camp chef as well. Pit boss is great for high heat searing with a pellet fire. Some Camp chef models allow you to sear with gas. Do you have a preference? I wouldn’t go with Cuisinart personally because I haven’t heard much on them.

I just wanted to get some suggestions. I for sure want a pellet and ash dump on the smoker

Just a few comments about that. Most of the ash in the burn pot is blown out by the fan. Only the heavier stuff remains. By the time enough of that accumulates to be of concern, you'll need to pull the drip tray to clean out the bottom of the grill anyway. So I'd put very little value on an ash dump feature that only dumps the burn pot.

Similarly, I don't find much value in a pellet dump. Due to the high temperatures that pellets burn, much of the subtleties between different wood species are lost, so there really isn't much reason to be swapping out pellets. Most folks that I know stick with one pellet for everything.

Note that some of the newer Camp Chef models now come with a PID controller, so the problem of big temperature swings that some folks report should not be an issue with those.

Reactions: negolien and BKING!
Thats why I am hesitant to go with the Cuisinart but It is actually really nice and has a 30 pounds hopper. along with some cool storage options, lighting and the window. Camp Chef seems like a great option for easy use and clean up plus attachments. Just not sure I want to spend $1000 on this.

I like the pellet dump and yes pellets have different flavors, I have a sear area on my pit boss but I have a gas grill if needed, almost 2 years without any problems besides a temp probe, 5 year warranty on them now.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thats why I am hesitant to go with the Cuisinart but It is actually really nice and has a 30 pounds hopper. along with some cool storage options, lighting and the window. Camp Chef seems like a great option for easy use and clean up plus attachments. Just not sure I want to spend $1000 on this.
I would also look at customer support and warranty. Pellet grills have moving parts and may run into an issue down the road. As far as price goes, you get what you pay for. With that said , you should be able to find something you will really enjoy under $1000

Reactions: negolien
I do not own a pellet grill, but after having read literally hundreds of "what pellet smoker to buy" threads, I can confidently tell you that you should also be checking out rec-tec and grilla grills pellet grills before you pill the trigger on a unit.

Those seem to have the most rabid and satisfied fans :-)

I do not own a pellet grill, but after having read literally hundreds of "what pellet smoker to buy" threads, I can confidently tell you that you should also be checking out rec-tec and grilla grills pellet grills before you pill the trigger on a unit.
Those seem to have the most rabid and satisfied fans :-)

I agree 100%! I also don't own a pellet popper and most likely never will, way too many moving parts and things that can break for my liking. That being said, a LOT of guys on this forum rave about the Rec-Tec and the great customer service they provide, on top of pulling off a lot of fantastic cooks. If I was going to buy a pellet smoker, and I'm not, I'd get a Rec-Tec. I'm not positive but I think there's some dough left over from a grand, maybe getcha some of that fancy over-priced internet meat with the savings. Just my 2¢ worth. RAY

If you want a grill for every day do everything in a price range, I would look at Green Mountain, if you want a more thought out, leveled up pellet machine go Yoder.
having said that, if you want to smoke, for the most part, look at the Pit Boss vertical pellet machines. That’s my vote.

Rec Tec is a little more than I would like to spend. As far as a sear goes some pellet smokers can do it if not I still have my gas grill as well that I can sear on. Good customer service is great.

Ive been going back and forth between the Cam Chef Woodwind and a Pit Boss. Basically comes down to money. Has any used or seen the new Oklahoma Joe Ride DLX? I saw one at the store yesterday very sturdy with a lot of room in it. I also love the sear smoke mode it has. I am just worried about flair ups and hot spots. Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX.

Ive been going back and forth between the Cam Chef Woodwind and a Pit Boss. Basically comes down to money. Has any used or seen the new Oklahoma Joe Ride DLX? I saw one at the store yesterday very sturdy with a lot of room in it. I also love the sear smoke mode it has. I am just worried about flair ups and hot spots. Oklahoma Joes Rider DLX.

I haven’t heard of the Oklahoma joes pellet smoker. I’d also look at Grilla grills silverback

Has anyone used Smoke Daddy's Pellet Pro 1190? I know they make a lot of aftermarket parts for other pellet grills and also made their own. They are only about 45 min from me so I thought maybe I would check them out.

Has anyone used Smoke Daddy's Pellet Pro 1190? I know they make a lot of aftermarket parts for other pellet grills and also made their own. They are only about 45 min from me so I thought maybe I would check them out.

I’ve heard their controller was awesome. Build quality is good too I hear.

Right now I think I am between Camp Chef Woodwind, Zgrill, Pit Boss and Pellet Pro. I guess I really comes down to price and size. When I cook when I have friends over which is often we love a lot of sides and veggies so I need space for that as well. But also I dot want something that if I am cooking steaks or burgers I can actually get a nice sear on.

I can sear on my Pitboss, over 1000" no side burner or grill grates needed imo. $500 and a 5 year warranty these days, the vertical wont sear.

I too am looking at Pellet Grills. The best use of the Pellet Dump is not to change flavors as much as if you live with High Humidity, removing the pellets will save time clearing auger jams from disintegrating pellets. I would not purchase any NEW entries into the Pellet Grill market for at least a year and the Bugs have been discovered and worked out. Look at the Weber debacle...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky