Pellet smoker advice please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clubmanager

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 19, 2020
Hi,
Ideally, I’d like about 700-1000sq in. Smoker with a lid, not a door. And made in the US.

I read a thread below about Smokin Brothers being made in the US and really like what I see there. Are there other options to consider?
It’s for my birthday (today); my lovely Wife said to buy what I want, not knowing much about it she figured it better for me to sort things and to be comfort with the purchase and price.

Thanks y’all.....!

Looks like Yoder, Smokin Beothers, Blaze n grill, cookshack. I like the look of that Fast Eddie as it has a sear grate, warming drawer, etc. Any first or second hand experience with these? All made in the USA!

I have a Yoder 480 and I like it. It cooks very well and my grandkids will get it. Get the two pc heat shield for much easier cleanups. Everything is heavy with the Yoder which I believe helps regulate the heat well.

With that Yoder, am I correct in thinking one can cook two briskets? One in each shelf? Looks like it but I’m not sure.

Hi,
Ideally, I’d like about 700-1000sq in. Smoker with a lid, not a door. And made in the US.

I read a thread below about Smokin Brothers being made in the US and really like what I see there. Are there other options to consider?
It’s for my birthday (today); my lovely Wife said to buy what I want, not knowing much about it she figured it better for me to sort things and to be comfort with the purchase and price.

Thanks y’all.....!
One piece of advice....sit back and listen to the foks on here...I mean first class with terrific advice..... Congrats on a great birthday gift!

I have a Yoder YS640 and it is great. Built like a tank. Mine does not have the fireboard controller which would be a great addition. Yes you could easily do 2 briskets. I have smoked 70+ pounds of butts at one time, that filled it up.

One piece of advice....sit back and listen to the foks on here...I mean first class with terrific advice..... Congrats on a great birthday gift!
That’s why I paid for a subscription! I smoked my first brisket based in advice from here. No question, this is THE place for advice. Thank you.

I have a Yoder YS640S with the FireBoard. It is an excellent machine. If I didn't have it I would consider a RecTec. That doesn't pass your filter of US made however.

The Yoder is well made and I really like that the FireBoard is integrated into their controls. The Yoder will need more maintenance in regard to painting from time to time. It is made of carbon steel, albeit it heavy gauge. Others use SS but are therefore more sheetmetal like in construction. I prefer the heavy construction of the Yoder and painting from time to time is no issue for me. I keep high temp paint for my other stick burners, etc.

Cookshack/Fast Eddy are top of the line. If it's in your budget you won't regret buying one. Great cookers and they last forever. Yoder is nice too but they're more mainstream and push features over quality.

Thanks y’all. The prices are driving me toward Rec Teq and Camp Chef Woodwind as much as it pains me. However, I do see the Smokin Brothers 30” traditional is $1100 compared to the 36” Woodwind at $1K shipped. I figure the SB might cost another $200 to ship. So, the money is close enough I suppose.
FWIW, I’m not into the ‘App’ aspects of this purchase so other than that, what do I give up with the Camp Chef besides my decision making integrity ;)
The rec teq is cool but it sure seems like unobtanium at the moment. Really don’t want to wait 2-3 months to get started.
Edit: 6 weeks to ship. One thing I noticed is that the inside is only 9.5”; seems rather short?
Edit #2: $150 shipping cost for the SB Traditional
Another bloody edit: Any word on Smoke Daddy? The Pellet Pro looks awesome!

Last edited:
Sorry, seems I’m all over the place now with so many options. I’ll sort it out between those listed and Grilla Grills. All except the SB are from China.

I know, sometimes too much information is distracting. Bad meals can be cooked in expensive pellet grills, and perfection can be done in the cheapest pellet grill. Figuring out what we need and the features that we will use can be the hardest part.

What is it that makes you think you're giving up your "decision making integrity" by going with a Camp Chef? A lot of us here own CC products and are very satisfied with the build quality, features, availability of accessories and especially the customer service from Camp Chef. Don't sell yourself short due to brand snobbery.

I expect C clubmanager ‘decision integrity’ meant starting with all American made but dissuaded by the relatively high prices, and migrating to a more mainstream unit/mfr.
No worries guy .... we all love high end cars, audio, whatever ... but perfectly happy with what fits within our means.
As they say, happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

Reactions: bill1
Just to be clear, when I say ‘integrity’, I 100% mean my own, not questioning anyone’s ability to buy what they like. My initial decision was to buy American, and ‘Insrutible‘ above is correct. I’m still torn and have certainly spent more money than needed just so I could keep my money in the local business, the state and indeed, in the US. I have bought more from China than anywhere; it’s just necessary nowadays but am most happy when I get a good product and know where the momeh is going is all. I am not a brand snob but respect a finely built product.

As it relates to a Pellet Cooker, I’m still researching but will do my best to buy American. In fact, I may go stick burner so as to keep my money local; there are a couple guys building them.
I like the Smokin’ Brothers stuff as well as Pitts and Spits along with a couple others. Being able to call the people responsible for design, build, marketing, sales, delivery, customer service, etc. is valuable to me.
All in all, I have been so happy with this forum and wish to remain here learning so please don’t construe my message as anything negative. It’s simply not my mission, not why I’m here.

Reactions: bill1 and K9BIGDOG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky