Pellet Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FlyFishinX2

Original poster
Jun 26, 2019
Hershey,PA
I'm still new to pellet grills and have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone that I've been "social distancing" with a lot lately and one thing I've noticed is one brand of pellets I've used seem to burn up faster than the other. So my question to those of you that have been doing this for a while and have experimented with different brands is which brand or type of pellet gives you a good burn time while providing the great flavor that we all desire?

You are going to get a fair amount of 'favorite' opinion responses. After trying several brands a number of years ago, I settled on BBQr's Delight because they produce the least amount of ash while still providing great flavor. YMMV

Reactions: Alphonse and Blues1
I have a local dealer that sells Lumberjack pellets. I can get 40 pound bags for $16. I buy the Supreme Blend and I like the results I get using these. There are quite a few places that sell Lumberjack Pellets. Rural King for one.

My BBQ Team used BBQer’s Delights Pellets for several years in competitions. We used a 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry. These are my favorite pellets. If I could buy these local and avoid shipping costs these are the pellets I would use.

if you have Academy Sports nearby you may want to give B&B brand a try. They are made by BBQ’ers Delight.
Johnny Ray

Reactions: Steff3 and Alphonse
As mentioned are all high quality pellets. I run a lot of Green Mountain Gold pellets. They are very good. Also, when I was running my GMG, I learned to use high quality pellets that don’t break apart easily and try to limit the amount of sawdust that enters the hopper. This will save you some frustration.

Reactions: Buttah Butts
I like B&B the best. Originally was using pitboss. They work but when I switched I noticed a big change in wood flavor with the B&B. You can even smell the difference in the bag

As mentioned are all high quality pellets. I run a lot of Green Mountain Gold pellets. They are very good. Also, when I was running my GMG, I learned to use high quality pellets that don’t break apart easily and try to limit the amount of sawdust that enters the hopper. This will save you some frustration.
Curious what type of frustration you encountered.

So far I've used two brands of pellets and it seems as though my opinion is in line with what's being said here. I started with BBQrs Delight pellets and when I ran out I went with the cheaper Pit Boss pellets.
Am disappointed in Pit Boss and probably won't buy them again.

Curious what type of frustration you encountered.

The saw dust plugs the screen on the hopper fan, that gives positive air flow and pressure in the hopper to stop the back burn of pellets in the auger tube. Causing a hopper fire, or black pellets in the hopper. The sawdust also causes problems in the fire pot. It’s not on a grate, such as the Yoder YS, as such, it sort of plugs up the fire pot on the GMG, or Traeger style. Acts like to much ash in the pot, and causes wild temp swings. With the grate style fire pot, the dust falls through.

Has anyone used the Lumberjack or Camp Chef charwood pellets? I have been using "regular" pellets, but have learned that the cheaper ones don't produce smoke flavor. I am hoping that using the pellets with charcoal added to them might cure the problem.

I bought a couple bags of LJ charhickory last summer. The charcoal added a spiciness to the flavor. As pleased as I was to find a difference in it, I really didn't like it. I went back to LJ 100% hickory when they were used up.
My local Rural King has been out of everything but LJ comp blend since sheet hit the fan.

Lumberjack is probably the most consistent across their woods, but not all of their pellets are great.

Lumberjack hickory gives probably the closest wood flavor to it's all wood counter part. It's the best hickory I've come across. Their apple and cherry are pretty good and don't have much of that pellet sawdust smell. The oak on the other hand, I've come to dislike. They smell like burning sawdust and the flavor doesn't come across. Amazen or BBQ delight oak is preferred here.

BBQ delight's fruit woods are also pretty good, but I don't tell much of a difference between those and lumberjack. At least not as big of a gap on the oak.

Thanks sweetride and mike guy. I bought a bunch of Traeger hickory pellets and they did not provide
any flavor. Same for Camp Chef and Pit Boss. The LJ competition pellets DID provide some flavor. Not enough to make me really happy, but it is progress. I will order some of their hickory pellets and maybe one of the charwood pellets. I paid $15 at Dick's Sporting Goods for 20 lbs of LJ.

I bought a couple bags of LJ charhickory last summer. The charcoal added a spiciness to the flavor. As pleased as I was to find a difference in it, I really didn't like it. I went back to LJ 100% hickory when they were used up.
My local Rural King has been out of everything but LJ comp blend since sheet hit the fan.
If you have Dick's near you they are doing curbside pickup. You have to order online and they'll email you when the order is ready, when you arrive you check in using the link they send you and they bring the item out and put it in your vehicle. I did this today and picked up a bag of LJ 100 percent Hickory. Wasn't much else available through them but luckily it's one of the ones I wanted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky