• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pellet Question

FlyFishinX2

Joined Jun 26, 2019
I'm still new to pellet grills and have a Green Mountain Daniel Boone that I've been "social distancing" with a lot lately and one thing I've noticed is one brand of pellets I've used seem to burn up faster than the other. So my question to those of you that have been doing this for a while and have experimented with different brands is which brand or type of pellet gives you a good burn time while providing the great flavor that we all desire?

schlotz

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 13, 2015
You are going to get a fair amount of 'favorite' opinion responses. After trying several brands a number of years ago, I settled on BBQr's Delight because they produce the least amount of ash while still providing great flavor. YMMV

Johnny Ray

Meat Mopper
Joined Jun 22, 2019
I have a local dealer that sells Lumberjack pellets. I can get 40 pound bags for $16. I buy the Supreme Blend and I like the results I get using these. There are quite a few places that sell Lumberjack Pellets. Rural King for one.

My BBQ Team used BBQer’s Delights Pellets for several years in competitions. We used a 50/50 mix of hickory and cherry. These are my favorite pellets. If I could buy these local and avoid shipping costs these are the pellets I would use.

if you have Academy Sports nearby you may want to give B&B brand a try. They are made by BBQ’ers Delight.
Johnny Ray

SmokinEdge

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
As mentioned are all high quality pellets. I run a lot of Green Mountain Gold pellets. They are very good. Also, when I was running my GMG, I learned to use high quality pellets that don’t break apart easily and try to limit the amount of sawdust that enters the hopper. This will save you some frustration.

TNJAKE

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 26, 2019
I like B&B the best. Originally was using pitboss. They work but when I switched I noticed a big change in wood flavor with the B&B. You can even smell the difference in the bag

FlyFishinX2

Joined Jun 26, 2019
As mentioned are all high quality pellets. I run a lot of Green Mountain Gold pellets. They are very good. Also, when I was running my GMG, I learned to use high quality pellets that don’t break apart easily and try to limit the amount of sawdust that enters the hopper. This will save you some frustration.
Curious what type of frustration you encountered.

FlyFishinX2

Joined Jun 26, 2019
So far I've used two brands of pellets and it seems as though my opinion is in line with what's being said here. I started with BBQrs Delight pellets and when I ran out I went with the cheaper Pit Boss pellets.
Am disappointed in Pit Boss and probably won't buy them again.

SmokinEdge

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Curious what type of frustration you encountered.
The saw dust plugs the screen on the hopper fan, that gives positive air flow and pressure in the hopper to stop the back burn of pellets in the auger tube. Causing a hopper fire, or black pellets in the hopper. The sawdust also causes problems in the fire pot. It’s not on a grate, such as the Yoder YS, as such, it sort of plugs up the fire pot on the GMG, or Traeger style. Acts like to much ash in the pot, and causes wild temp swings. With the grate style fire pot, the dust falls through.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.