Pecan Ideas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Morning fellas and non fellas. I have about 12lbs of pecans that tx smoker tx smoker was kind enough to send me.
IMG_20210906_120112.jpg

These are fresh and delicious as is. I'd like to take about half of these and smoke with various flavor profiles and seasonings. Spicy, sweet, savory. Would love to get some ideas from forum members with tips and possible flavor combinations.

So let's hear them.......

....can also grind and use the pecan flour as a coating. I make a ground duck and pork patty that is coated with ground pecan and pan fried. It is really good as an appetizer or finger food.
Thanks bud that does sound delicious and was already planning something similar with some of the other half. The smoked and seasoned ones I'm wanting to package with some cheese for winter gifts.

Seen something a long time ago about, beef tenderloin with a pecan crust. I think pork would be better ( cause I like my beef to taste like beef) but it might be worth a try.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Damn, pecans are my favorite nut by far. They used to be grown all around here, now they switched everything over to grapes and almonds. And I haven't seen a pecan stand around here for years. I sure miss Mom's pecan pie's and pecan brittle for the holidays, we just can't afford them from the stores around here. There used to be "U- PICK" orchards everywhere that were super cheap, no longer, unfortunately.
I miss picking big limbs out of their brush piles as well.

The old stand by's chili lime, garlic, brown sugar & salt candied and jalapeno powder, onion powder, garlic salt, lime & sugar.
Don't use butter it will go rancid, use beaten egg whites with a splash of water as the binder.

Any white fish dipped in egg then coated in crushed pecans is killer!!!! I used striped bass and halibut but even catfish & brim would be killer.

You're a lucky man.
Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
Damn, pecans are my favorite nut by far. They used to be grown all around here, now they switched everything over to grapes and almonds. And I haven't seen a pecan stand around here for years. I sure miss Mom's pecan pie's and pecan brittle for the holidays, we just can't afford them from the stores around here. There used to be "U- PICK" orchards everywhere that were super cheap, no longer, unfortunately.
I miss picking big limbs out of their brush piles as well.

The old stand by's chili lime, garlic, brown sugar & salt candied and jalapeno powder, onion powder, garlic salt, lime & sugar
Don't use butter it will go rancid, use beaten egg whites with a splash of water as the binder.

Any white fish dipped in egg then coated in crushed pecans is killer!!!! I used striped bass and halibut but even catfish & brim would be killer.

You're a lucky man.
Dan
Thanks for the suggestions Dan. Definitely gonna make some Chile/lime. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the heads up on the butter because I was wondering about them goin rancid as these will be vac sealed and not eaten right away. I have some rainbow trout in the freezer I'm gonna pecan crust soon. And I'll send you some samples of the pecans when I get around to making them. Will probably be next month after/if it ever cools down here lol

Reactions: forktender
My sister has been making these for Christmas for years as gifts and and for parties. They are requested all the time. They are very addictive and I can't stop eating them. My sister always makes extra for me. Membership has its priviledges. I keep telling myself they are nuts and nuts are good for me, though my scale says ot6herwise. I've never had them with smoked peacans, but I bet they would be very good.

Rob

My sister has been making these for Christmas for years as gifts and and for parties. They are requested all the time. They are very addictive and I can't stop eating them. My sister always makes extra for me. Membership has its priviledges. I keep telling myself they are nuts and nuts are good for me, though my scale says ot6herwise. I've never had them with smoked peacans, but I bet they would be very good.

Rob
Thanks for the recipe. My wife would love those

Reactions: robrpb
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky