Pear and apple wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zosick

Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Nebraska
I have one of each that are well over grown. I'm planning on cutting 2 branches from each around 3inches at the cutting point. My question is if this is worth drying for smoking and how to go about that. I live in Nebraska so winter is very dry and cold.

Any help is appreciated

Both woods are very good for flavor but I would say it depends on what kind of smoker you use. I have a large trailer mounted stick burner and a limb wouldn't do much to feed it however if I had a WSM or something that burns charcoal or propane then I would sure save and dry those limbs. Cut the limbs then cut them into 16-24" length pieces and maybe put them in the barn or garage on something like a couple 2x4's to keep them off the ground. You could also stack them outside on the 2x4's and cover the stack with a tarp but I like the barn better and open so more air gets to them. It's just a matter of time until they dry out enough to use and there are many variables to affect just how long like temp, humidity, air flow, etc. Personally I would keep the apple by itself and the pear by itself that way when you go to use it you'll know which you are using. They can be side by side on the same 2x4's but separate enough to tell which pile is which

I was planning on using it on an old yoder offset that I bought before Joining this site so she is old but has held up well

pineywoods has you covered, I would just measure your fire box and cut them to the length where they'll fit. then stack as mentioned above.

I agree with the above!
I have a small Lang stick burner & I would probably cut them about 12" long & I may even split them. I use oak out of the trees in my backyard. Usually just the dead limbs, so there is very little drying time.
Al

Yep, split will dry them quicker. Frozen wood splits easier and your location says that will be soon. :emoji_disappointed:

Thanks for the info all. I'm just waiting for all the leafs to fall before fire up the chain saw. I'm planning to cut them into six inch pieces and split them. I have a buddy that can dry them out pretty fast as he has a a powder coating shop and does fire wood/drying in one oven that's not used to powder coating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky