Peach Cobbler

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Picked up some juicy peaches at local farmers market this morning. I been making this peach cobbler for long time. It is really good.

1 1/4 lb firm-ripe peaches (5 to 6 Med)
1 TBL fresh Lemon Juice
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 TBL baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
Cinnamon or nutmeg for sprinkling

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut an X in bottom of each peach with a sharp paring knife and blanch peaches in 2 batches in a 3 qrt. saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Tranfer peaches with a slotted spoon to a bowl of ice and cold water. Peel off skin with a paring knife, beginning from score end and discard. Halve peaches, then pit and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Transfer peaches to a 3 qrt heavy saucepan and add lemon juice and 2/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour melted butter into a 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining cup sugar in a bowl, then whisk in milk just until combined. Pour batter over butter (do not stir). Pour peaches over batter (do not stir). Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon if desired and bake until cobbler is bubbling and top is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack till warm, about 25 minutes.

20200523_135939.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Peach cobbler is my absolute favorite dessert, bar none. That looks delicious!

I often can't wait for peach season so I use canned peaches in juice during the off season to tide me over.

I tried canned peaches one time. The cobbler came out WAY too moist. The dough in the center never really cooked properly. Thinking I used too many peaches (drained). What amount of canned peaches do you use??
Gary

Gary, here's the recipe I use. The baking time can vary by size of pan, type of pan used (glass or aluminum), and whether the pan is preheated or not. It is nicely browned when done.

Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe

Ray's note from first time: This had great flavor. Will definitely make it again and again.

Added cinnamon and nutmeg later, which was awesome. It actually takes very little.

Ingredients
1 30 oz. of peaches in juice, not syrup.
1 cup flour by weight (¼ cup at 34g is 136g total)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup whole milk, room temp.
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt half cup of butter in 9x9 or 9x13 inch pan in the oven (8×8 pan is too small as it bakes, trust me on this). Can do this while the oven is preheating. Can also just melt in the microwave but it adds 5-10 minutes to cook time.

In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients until well mixed, then add milk and stir to break up clumps. Creates a thin batter that gets thicker as it sits.

Take the hot pan with the melted butter out of the oven. Or, if melted in the microwave, spread the butter around the bottom of your pan.

Pour batter mixture over the melted butter. Evenly add the large can of peaches with the juice over the butter and batter. Do not mix.

Bake uncovered until top is browned, 40 - 55 minutes.

Last edited:
Well, heck. Now I gotta make one. My mouth has been watering since I posted the recipe. Also going to try 50/50 mix of AP/whole wheat flour, the only change to above, except maybe a little more milk to hydrate the whole wheat flour. Not much though, maybe a Tbs or two.

That looks & sounds awesome, Brian!!
I'm a sucker for Peach Cobbler--I even loved it when they made it in my High School Cafeteria!!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

I don't want to take anything away from Brian's delicious post. We're still not seeing good peaches, yet, out here in California so canned peaches are our only option. A cool spring has delayed things a bit for the peach harvest, if it happens at all.

I couldn't resist the siren's call of the peach cobbler so I did the canned version this afternoon with the 50/50 mix of AP/whole wheat flour. Left milk the same and added another half tsp of baking powder. Didn't bother warming the milk either. I did add the cinnamon and nutmeg. It had to bake for an hour and ten minutes to get brown in the middle. The 50/50 became our new go to.

20200531_160036.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
Due to health issues, I'm experimenting today with uncooked/unpeeled fresh peaches, whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, and 50/50 coconut milk/whole milk in the batter. Looks REALLY brown. We'll see.

We've had exactly one week of decent fresh peaches this year...and I missed it for making a cobbler. The ones I used today were obviously picked WAY too early. They did ripen a bit in the kitchen over the last week. Pics will follow later. I have enough peaches to make a second cobbler if the experiment is inedible.

I missed this whole thread as well. All of these look wonderful and mouthwatering! You guys are doing a public service by posting these great recipes. Thank you. Now I gotta try these as well as all of the other stuff I've been accumulating. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky