Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I have a 3 1/2 lb corned beef rubbed and sitting in fridge waiting till Saturday to smoke.

I have done a lot of reading on the subject and it seems most like to smoke to around 150 then wrap in foil and steam to a IT of 190.

Can I achieve the same tenderness as a steam finish my just wrapping in foil at 150 and place back in to the smoker?

Thanks

Adam,

By foiling it you are basically braising the meat at that point. I would add some broth to help it along. It is going to be pretty tender, but I'm not sure about as tender as steaming it. Honestly I never steam mine, unless I am reheating the left overs.

So foil, add broth and back on the smoker to IT190.

Oh I am using the drum for this.

That's what I'd do. Except I'd start poking the brisket with a toothpick at around 180º to check for tenderness. When it slides in like melted butter its done!

Yep, Case has you covered. Steaming goes slightly faster because of the greater Convection but Foiled and back in the smoker will get you there. I saw an episode of DDD where after smoking the owner puts the Pastrami in a pot of Pastrami Broth and simmers it until the desired tenderness. The interesting part was, he has been using the same broth since the place opened! It was some 20 years old. They just top it up with more water and seasoning, then chill it and store until the next day. Must be some pretty intense flavor in that pot...JJ

Thanks Chief Jimmy.

I had planned on steaming but it might turn into a over night smoke.

Lots of ways to skin a cat!

At our house we cut some thicker for dinner plates.  We steam that.

The thin sliced stuff for sandwiches we warm in au jus.

Good luck and good smoking.

Lots of ways to skin a cat!

At our house we cut some thicker for dinner plates.  We steam that.

The thin sliced stuff for sandwiches we warm in au jus.

Thanks Venture

I am making it for sammies.

Another question.  Does 225 sound good for temp?

And about how long should I expect to hit 150?

Adam,

By foiling it you are basically braising the meat at that point. I would add some broth to help it along. It is going to be pretty tender, but I'm not sure about as tender as steaming it. Honestly I never steam mine, unless I am reheating the left overs.
Hmmmm Adam sounds familiar...lol

Who invited you?   LOL

A range of 225-250 is fine....shouldn't take too awfully long.   It'll pick up some smoke and and add enough broth when you foil to keep it wet with out drying out... i.e your flat you did.

Last edited:
I am guessing 5-8 hours?

Others have their methods, and most are good?

For us, we refrigerate the sucker over night to set up.  Much easier to slice thin that way.

Then we reheat as above.

For dinner plates, we might take some thicker slices off just after the smoke and rest.  Then steam for 1/2 hour or a little more.  Even with these I do like a good hour of rest in foil and towels.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky