Pastrami ?s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
I purchased a whole pastrami brisket from a meat packing company in Chicago that I regularly get meat from. It is about 16lb, already seasoned, and smoker ready. Thing is, it looks like a lot of fat on the flat is trimmed off already. Not sure if this is common practice but don’t want it to dry out when I smoke for Friday on a Rec Teq BFG.

I thought of smoking for about 8hrs then putting in a foil pan then covering with foil when bark looks good, for me it’s usually 170ish.

Or should I follow my typical brisket method… low for 4hrs, turn up to 225-230, wrap in butcher paper around 170 till probe tender. Maybe a pan under to catch dripping???

Pics below of both sides. Not sure of the grade but they don’t sell anything lower than choice.

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

DA323771-DEDF-4ABE-B98F-81A49ED7CE4A.jpeg

6F04FF48-46B2-4D73-94FC-A12AB0B24078.jpeg

Reactions: negolien
So, if I'm understanding you correctly. You have a full packer brisket that has been made into corned beef and it is still in its raw state, but seasoned for pastrami and you want to smoke it. If that's the case then you'll want to smoke it until it's probe tender - about 205* +/-.

If it's fully cooked already then just cook it until it's warm throughout. Probably around 165 to 170*

So, if I'm understanding you correctly. You have a full packer brisket that has been made into corned beef and it is still in its raw state, but seasoned for pastrami and you want to smoke it. If that's the case then you'll want to smoke it until it's probe tender - about 205* +/-.

If it's fully cooked already then just cook it until it's warm throughout. Probably around 165 to 170*

Correct full packer, already corned, seasoned and in raw state. My concern was the amount of fat that was pre trimmed off the flat. Should I not stress about that and follow the normal brisket cook method I usually do or something else.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky