Pastrami from the begining, update It's finally done!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks to all you folks for your kind comments! This was exhausting, but it was well worth it in the end.

Are we done now?
yahoo.gif
Is it time to go fishing?

Thanks for sharing this experience. '

The meat looks amazing!!

Did you end up smoking it all night?

Al, just finished reading this entire thread and I have to say "What an outstanding job!!" Looks like I'm going to have to hunt down Uncle Lar's recipe and give this a go.

congratulations! on a job well done, i have just read thru the entire string and i do have a question for all. if i read this correctly everone puts it in the smoke to various degree of temps then pulls and some let it cool others hit the oven and you put yours in a pan with a beer mixture tented for a period of time and yours looks wonderfull. now for the question... i am origionaly from the north east and our pastrami has always been smoked and then put in a dutch oven covered with water to a boil then simmer for 2hrs. your method just sounds and looks outstanding, anyone have any thoughts on the boiling water method??? not to string this out any further.

thanks again for a great thread,

tom

Tom, The only comment I would have would be if it's covered in water a lot of the flavor would leach out into the water. I think just adding a little liquid to the pastrami & covering it does the same thing. It is steamed in the foil tent and further breaks down the connective tissue in the meat without taking any of the flavor away.

al,

i would agree with your statement so going against family tradition i believe i will go down your path this go around. did you just use beer or was something else added? then oven time... 200 degrees 2-4 hrs? these 6 are all points at about 3 lbs trimmed.

thanks,

tom

Fabulous Al...great job!!

Thanks for your efforts!!

Craig

al,

i would agree with your statement so going against family tradition i believe i will go down your path this go around. did you just use beer or was something else added? then oven time... 200 degrees 2-4 hrs? these 6 are all points at about 3 lbs trimmed.

thanks,

tom
Tom,
I usually set the oven at 210 degrees, put a probe in as many as you can, they will be done when they are done. Since they are all about the same size they will probably be done at about the same time, 2 to 4 hours is a good estimate, but you just never know, they seem to have a mind of their own. I take mine to 205 IT. Then leave them foiled & wrapped in towels in a dry cooler for a couple of hours. As for the liquid I just used beer, but any liquid will do.

Thanks Al
beercheer.gif

i was able last night to put the pastrami in the beer bath (finally was able to try your sugestion) and set them up on racks above the beer bath, tented and steamed for 4 hrs. the first indications are outstanding. they have been in the deep cooler all night and will be slicing them later today or tomorrow. that will be the test and will provide q-view. looks as if i will be breaking tradition and this method will now be the new tradition.

tom 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky