Pastrami from the begining, update It's finally done!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Al, It's gonna be hard to wait 7 days.

I hope you qview the smoke...

Yes I plan on Qviewing the smoke and I'm going to smoke it all the way without foiling, which will be a first for me.

I haven't bought a "Corned Beef" for years.

How much are they, as opposed to the $2 brisket?

Bear
I'll be watchin. Curious as well on the price difference.

FYI Bear. I was getting the corned beef points in 3-4lb sizes for less than a dollar a pound last year (.88 /lb I think). They didn't last in the freezer. It's the only thing I could afford to buy enough of to experiment with.

Al,

Could you add a link to where you made pastrami from corned beef, I couldn't find any brisket or flats, but I did find a "Country Pride Corned Beef" from Vernon CA, would that work?

Gene

Here in Phx Az. Flats run about $3.50 a #. Packers are about $2.00. So it kinda comes down to if you have the will power to wait out the brining process??just saying ...:grilling_smilie:

Ok, You have us all sitting on the edge of our seats!  Is there anyway we can get the time to move faster?  I have one fear with me getting hooked on all this smoking.  How am I going to keep this body of mine fitting in my jeans?

That's easy----Keep your smoker 100 yards from your house, and check it (on foot) every 10 minutes.

Bear

Al,

Could you add a link to where you made pastrami from corned beef, I couldn't find any brisket or flats, but I did find a "Country Pride Corned Beef" from Vernon CA, would that work?

Gene

I found an old one, but there wasn't much info on the process. If you use the search box & type in pastrami a ton of threads will come up. Simply put the process is soak the corned beef in water for about 8 hours, changing the water a couple of times. Dry it off coat with EVOO & your rub, I just use CBP & I also put the pickling spices on top that come in the bag with the corned beef. Then into the smoker @ 225. When it gets to 165, foil it & back on the smoker or into the oven until it reaches 225. Wrap it in towels & put in a dry cooler for a couple of hours and your ready for slicing.

Thanks Al, I copied you instructions and I'm ready to try making pastrami, but..., we're on a tsunami alert and everything is closed down tight, it hit here this morning a 7:30, standing on my roof I watched 4 small waves hit the reef, water in the lagoon rose 16",  a lot of to do for nothing.

I hope the store is open by noon!

Gene

Thanks Al, I copied you instructions and I'm ready to try making pastrami, but..., we're on a tsunami alert and everything is closed down tight, it hit here this morning a 7:30, standing on my roof I watched 4 small waves hit the reef, water in the lagoon rose 16",  a lot of to do for nothing.

I hope the store is open by noon!

Gene
Yea, Gene I saw that on the news, but better to be safe than sorry. Some of that footage from Japan looked pretty intense. Good luck with the pastrami & keep us posted.

Day 4, been turning it over every day. I guess today is about hump day.  
popcorn.gif

There must be something in the air because I just brined a brisket today in preparation for St. patty's day. I'll be watching for your outcome...

I just picked up 2 corned beef briskets for 1.28/lb. Gonna do one as pastrami. Making corned beef and cabbage later in the week.  And get it all to myself cuz the boys won't eat it, their loss!

When I did a pastrami search I used the wiki which lead me to jeffs newsletter from 2/2010 and all the instructions are there!

Looks good Al, can't wait for the end

I can't wait for the end either. I think it may need to cure more than 7 days, may let it go till the end of the week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky