Pastrami from the begining, update It's finally done!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK thanks Lar. I've been really stressing over this. Do you think I left it in the brine too long?

you might have been able to get by with less time but I brined mine for  11 days and it was delicious

I did 3 packers in a big tub and turned them every couple days you can see by the pics that they were also grey on the outside but it was all bright pink when I smoked it

ce_1000x500px-LL-643e5edf_cornedbeefandpastrami002.jpg

Thanks again, Lar. There rubbed down & in the fridge, gonna put them on about 7:00 PM & let them go all night.

I would instead get a recipie for a cure (brine) from Bear or dude that uses Morton tenderquick.

From scratch pastramis are really good compared to store bought ones from corned beef. The store bought corned beefs are easier tho, but once you made your own (and you are so close to it), you know and you wont go back (unless for ease of use)!

Good luck!

Man this is really getting out of hand. I think next time I'll just pay the extra $ & get the cured corned beef.

Had a feeling it would be. You may want to inject some brine next time to get better penetration.

I did inject it numerous times. Here's what Bob said.

"It is fine.  O2 got to the meat first, which when the cure was added fixed to the iron at FeO3 instead of Fe02.  The outside color is actually the real color of beef."

I think I know how this happened. I had it frozen for about 1 month. When I thawed it in the fridge I think there may have been a leak in the foodsaver bag, because there was some air inside. It was on the bottom of the freezer & when I pulled it thru everything else I must have put a pinhole in the plastic. The bag was not compressed on the brisket, you could see where there was air in there. Can't wait to get this sucker on the smoker & I bet you guys are plenty tired of this thread too!

I've been watching the unfolding saga of the P'strami. Never have been through this, hence no input, so kept my fingers off the keyboard. Now that all seems OK at Control Central I wish you God Speed....waiting for liftoff of the WSM lid....Smoke on, Al.....have a sippa Johnnie to steady the nerves and maybe another piece of cracklin'....you deserve it

Thanks guys, It's going on the WSM in a couple of hours, then sleep. Can't wait! Maybe a Johnny Walker before! Or 2!!

I'm glad you got some good advice from Bob because as i was reading the last few pages i was considering cutting my point that I just brined in half to look at the center. Lookin forward to your strami..!

Wow Al after reading this 6 page journey I'm about ready to have a stiff drink for you...what a ride and no q-view yet..

I have to say i lmao when you were asking how long it takes for food poisoning to set in and Bear told you to eat a bunch of your smoked ham to dilute the effect of your pastrami test fry..That was classic.

Hope it goes better with the smoke...I'm waiting for the q-view

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky