pastrami from corned beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh, I think you soak it overnight in a bunch of water if possible. Change it once before bed. Then you dry it off and can let it sit out to dry on the counter or in the fridge a couple hours ..
Find a good rub recipe . Coriander and mustard seed can get toasted in a pan and all tour ingredients ground in spice grinder. Rub the meat and smoke to whatever's your temp.. 190 or 195 perhaps.

I think I read once that some people smoke to only through the stall or like 170. Then they let it cool and stuck it in the fridge to steam or lightly simmer in a small bit of water to 195 or so.

I think I read once that some people smoke to only through the stall or like 170. Then they let it cool and stuck it in the fridge to steam or lightly simmer in a small bit of water to 195 or so.

That's what I do - smoke till about 165F, then cool. When ready to serve, steam until tender - about 2 hours.

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Gwanger, make sure you read the sodium content of the corn-beef. I've done it in the past and it was way to salty. If it has a higher sodium content then it may need more soaking time. When done correctly it tastes great. Let us know how it turns out and what you did.

Chris

I have done one this way:

Soak for a few hours rub with coriander & coarse black pepper then 3 hrs on the smoke & into a bag sous vide overnight stuff was amazing. I think Smokinal has a better detailed procedure the sous vide way.

Yes Sous Vide really works well. I just did 2 of them yesterday. Smoke until 150 IT, then 24 hours @ 155 water temp.
Ice bath & into the fridge overnight, then slice.
Al

Yes Sous Vide really works well. I just did 2 of them yesterday. Smoke until 150 IT, then 24 hours @ 155 water temp.
Ice bath & into the fridge overnight, then slice.
Al
I am curious about the 155 temp Al. Don't most take it to 195-200. Is it because at temp for so long?

I am curious about the 155 temp Al. Don't most take it to 195-200. Is it because at temp for so long?

Yes you are correct, lower temp for a long time tenderizes the meat & actually gives you a more tender & juicy meat than if you smoke & steam it, or wrap it at 165. It really makes the best pastrami that I have ever had & I've made a bunch of them. If your on the fence about buying a SV machine, all I would say is it's one of the top purchases I have ever made!
Al

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky