Pastrami cure help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nsitka

Original poster
Aug 28, 2021
Hello,

I’ve had a brisket sitting in cure for the past week. I pulled it out this morning to desalinate and noticed the corners had been pressed up against the sides of the curing bin and didn’t soak up the cure. Some small sections are the red colour of a fresh brisket, whereas the rest is corned beef pink.

Is it still safe to use? I just cut the red sections off. Thanks.

No problem, as long as the brisket was completely submerged you are fine. When it is cooked it will all look the same. BTW I always cure my briskets for 2 weeks. So next time you may want to leave it in the cure a bit longer.
Al

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Its will be fine. Best move is to tightly wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refer over night. The cure will travel in to the corners. If in a hurry, it's safe to cook as is. The corners may not be Pink after smoking, but still fine to eat. .JJ

Reactions: nsitka
Its will be fine. Best move is to tightly wrap in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refer over night. The cure will travel in to the corners. If in a hurry, it's safe to cook as is. The corners may not be Pink after smoking, but still fine to eat. .JJ

Thanks!

No problem, as long as the brisket was completely submerged you are fine. When it is cooked it will all look the same. BTW I always cure my briskets for 2 weeks. So next time you may want to leave it in the cure a bit longer.
Al

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try 2 weeks next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky