Passing Wind Estates Hot Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

How did I miss this post?  Holy Crap Disco, awesome looking dogs.  I'm adding this one to the "Passing Winds Estates" section of my recipe collection for sure.

Thanks

Oh, and POINTS!!!!! (for sure)....
points.gif
Thanks, dward! I appreciate the point!

I used collagen casings just because they are the easiest to get around here. We have lots of hunting supply stores but not so many butcher shops!

Thanks for the point Bryan!
Ya know... I hate auto correct spelling... My Canadian friend! 

Late to the party but I will add that to the To-Do list- looks delicious ... might have to adjust the name for the better half to admit that she would like them ha!

I AM ALWAYS LEARNING FROM YOU "DISCO" .......
i like the dogs in the collagen cause they are nice and straight . i have never tried the collagen for anything except pepperoni befoer. my smokes and european wieners can have a hook to them.

will these stay on a stick for campfire grilling or will the casings be too soft?

cause im gonna build some and some more smokies for fishing/weeny roasting season !!

GREAT JOB

Goliath

Late to the party but I will add that to the To-Do list- looks delicious ... might have to adjust the name for the better half to admit that she would like them ha!
Thanks! However, they are just named after our mountain property. What's not to like?

I AM ALWAYS LEARNING FROM YOU "DISCO" .......
i like the dogs in the collagen cause they are nice and straight . i have never tried the collagen for anything except pepperoni befoer. my smokes and european wieners can have a hook to them.

will these stay on a stick for campfire grilling or will the casings be too soft?

cause im gonna build some and some more smokies for fishing/weeny roasting season !!

GREAT JOB

Goliath
Thanks, Goliath. These came out nice and firm and would be fine on a stick because they are smoked until cooked. I wouldn't trust collagen on a stick if they weren't smoked or cooked in some way

WOW Disco, those look fantastic!  I have allergy to anything that contains any benzene derivative, like PABA and other food additives. This would be a perfect solution for me because I love hot dogs, but can't eat most of them on the market.  Although I've made patty sausage, I've never done anything with casings.

points.gif

WOW Disco, those look fantastic!  I have allergy to anything that contains any benzene derivative, like PABA and other food additives. This would be a perfect solution for me because I love hot dogs, but can't eat most of them on the market.  Although I've made patty sausage, I've never done anything with casings.

points.gif
Casings are easy as long as you have a dedicated stuffer. I have a KitchenAid that has a stuffer attachment and it is not easy to use. 

One of the best parts of making your own sausages is you get to control the ingredients!

Thanks for the kind words and points.

Reactions: gearjammer
Really great looking dogs.
It's no wonder I never get to make anything twice
you guys keep coming up with new things for me to make.
Points for you, I love hot dogs.

Ed

Really great looking dogs.
It's no wonder I never get to make anything twice
you guys keep coming up with new things for me to make.
Points for you, I love hot dogs.

Ed
Thanks, Ed. I know what you mean. My to do list of recipes from this forum is growing not shrinking.

Thanks, SM. My friend liked these so much I am planning to make them again but with an all beef variety soon. I hope you like them.

Disco

These look amazing! Points from me.

These are definitely on my to do list.

Saving this thread.
Thanks, SM. My friend liked these so much I am planning to make them again but with an all beef variety soon. I hope you like them.

Disco

I'm going to try this with ground moose tomorrow with a couple of minor modifications.  Great job ! and a point !
I love moose and never thought of putting it in a hot dog. Are you adding any pork to get the fat content up?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky