Party Dillema

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

courtland

Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
We are having a party next Saturday. My wife invited a bunch of coworkers over and she wants me to make a brisket. Should I make it on Friday and reheat it Saturday, or should I get up extra early and start it on Saturday.

If I do it all dayFriday (I work from home), what is the best way to reheat it and keep it juicy?

-Courtland

Personally, I would allow for 1.5 hours per pound then add 4 hours to that to tell you what time you need to start.

A 10 pound brisket will take about 15 hours and then I would double wrap in foil, wrap in a couple of big towels and then place it in a cooler. Fill in the remaining space in the cooler with pillows.

This will keep the brisket hot (above 140 degrees) for up to 4 hours or better and give you a more tender and juicy brisket.

Anytime you reheat, you are going to dry the meat just a little so for the ultimate in perfection, I would plan on having it ready the morning of and then keep it hot in the cooler for 3-4 hours before you plan to eat.

You may look like you haven't slept and have droopy eyes but it will be worth it all in the end when you get all of the praise! :D

Have you tried the "fat side down" brisket method?

Thanks for the info. I read all of your articles. Good stuff.

I haven't tried the fat side down method. I've only done 4lb briskets on my grill for about 4 hours. On the smoker, only chickens. Thing is I have a game Saturday morning at 8am that morning and need to be fairly sharp for it.

Dinner is around 6pm so I could start it at 4-5am. I'm thinking 8-9lbs plus sausage will be fine for 12 people. My wife is doing the beans and homemade beer slaw. Everyone else is bringing beer, snacks and sides.

I'll be trying your beans recipe next weekend with some ribs. (or Boston butt if it's still onsale this week).

Quick question from the n00b. I couldn't get a packer cut brisket from both places I went to. I ended up with a 7.x# flat untrimmed. Will my smoking time still be roughly 1.5 hours/pound?

What stores are best for getting big cuts of meat in the Tampa Bay area?

The flat will take about the same time per lb... Just plan accordingly. It is better to have it done early so it can rest a while than to try to fend off the hungry guests!

As far as a place to buy whole packer briskets... Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco? They most always have whole briskets... at least around here.

Also, if you have to cook and then re-heat, when the meat comes off of the smoker, double wrap in HD foil and add about 1/2 cup of beef broth and about 1/2 cup of coffee (yes I said coffee)... then reheat in the oven until you get it just warmed through...

Good luck with your party!

James.

Thanks JamesB,

It's just after 6:00am here and I just threw the meat on the smoker. It's crazy windy here today. 20-30mph winds, but it's only 55* outside.

It came out really good! It took longer than expected though. I'm assuming it was because of the high winds and colder air that day. Everybody filled up on fatties and other appetizers so we had plenty of leftovers for the neighbors that were smelling the goodness all day.

Courtland that's the nature of a brisket ... thay always seem to take longer than expected (unless you're expecting 24 hours
wink.gif
). The last ones I cooked took 22 hours and 10 minutes to finish then they rested for a couple hours.

Glad your guests had plenty to feed on. 8)

Smoked a 9 pound brisket on Tuesday night and it took over 20 hours.. we had high winds out of the north all night and my wind break just wasn't cutting it.

That's more that 2 hours per pound.. when you are cooking outdoors you have to figure in the weather and allow for more time.

The family wasn't too happy since we were supposed to eat it for lunch but they lived through it :)

It turned out great and was so tender and juicy I had to slice it 1/4 inch thick.

Got 7 briskets to smoke on Sunday so I am hoping for better weather!!!

Courtland,
Good post and I'm really glad everything turned out well for you. You know, I really enjoy preparing the meat (tending the fire, making the sauces, mopping and all else with it). Smelling the smoke and anticipating the end product are also enjoyable parts of it. But in the end, isn't it great when the guests push back, fully satisfied, the wife glances her approval and the desert is brought out. That sense of satisfaction/accomplishment or whatever we want to call it just makes things right.

Now for Jeff and the 7 briskets next Sunday, sounds like he's going to have enough for the whole crowd so why don't we all head for Tulsa ..... arrive about 5 or 6 PM??? How about it Jeff.

Hope you keep a good watch on your fire. Did you see on the news the guy north of Tulsa that was smoking in his offset and let a spark get out and burned several acres in his housing development. :lol:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky