• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Particles on smoke grate

Paulie Walnuts 440

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I noticed on the bottom and top grates inside the wood smoker there were what looked like actually small pieces of wood particles unburnt on the grates and i have no idea why?

flatbroke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 16, 2007
Yeah I’m curious to see the pics too

Paulie Walnuts 440

Fire Starter
Joined Apr 17, 2020
I ended up cleaning it off i believe I had fresh wood on that caught fire a bit but I think I choked it off too soon and a lot of white smoke dirty fire and think maybe not fully burnt wood

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
Ash wood produces a lot of white ash. I’ve had people give me ash that they thought was hickory. It works but definitely a lot of ash. Guessing that’s where the name came from.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
OK... I've seen that with elm but also the meat taste like krap from elm... I did use it once... horrible flavor to the meat....

smokin peachey

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 1, 2016
When I burn ash in the open pit aka campfire there are often lots of ash particles floating around. Locust can be the same way.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.