Pan Seared California Halibut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bacon_crazy510

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 17, 2018
St Charles, MO
I love me some halibut! My wife saw fresh halibut at our local seafood market, so she picked up a nice hunk for me.

I made the pan sauce first - I melted a healthy (lol) amount of Irish butter in a pan. Once it was bubbling, I threw in some mushrooms, seasoned them with salt and pepper and sautéed them down. When they were ready I threw in a few cloves of garlic that I sliced thin. I let the garlic bloom for a few moments, and when I was happy with the aroma, I poured in some white wine. I also threw in a nice amount of artichoke hearts. I brought the sauce to a simmer, then slightly thickened it. I poured it into a bowl and cleaned the pan. Then I cooked the fish - I seasoned it with kosher salt and black pepper, then dredged one side in flour. I heated a large knob of Irish butter until it was sizzling hot, then seared the fish on the floured side. When I was happy with the sear I flipped the fish and poured the sauce back into the pan. I covered it, and let it finish cooking in the simmering sauce. After a few minutes the fish was ready. I carefully placed the fish onto a bed of pasta, and stirred some fresh lemon juice into the sauce that I poured over the pasta.

It was so good! Like I said ... I LOVE ME SOME HALIBUT!!

thumbnail.jpeg

That looks great! Love the garlic/wine with the shrooms and artichokes! I'm gonna have to give that a try. Not sure I can find a good hunk of halibut but I think that would pair up with some other fish too. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: bacon_crazy510
It's a basic sauce I make Sowsage Sowsage .. it works with fish or chicken. Hell, I bet it would work with a piece of 2x4. Any white fish would work ... I've used petrole sole, flounder, orange roughy ... it's all good!

Reactions: Sowsage
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky