Pan Fried Trout.......................Bow vs Browny

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thoseguys26

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Aspen Valley
The boss let me take a two hour hooky break today so I headed down to a little creek 20 minutes away with pan friend trout for supper on my mind. I rarely keep these little gems but a few times a year I make it a special treat. Usually it's grilled creek-side with some wild mint, wild porcini's or whatever mother nature happens to have in her store at the time but this time the trout were coming back with me.

There's nothing quite like fresh trout under 8'' fried up in a little butter and olive oil. Stuffing them with fresh basil, rosemary, & oregano leaves doesn't hurt either. Oh, don't forget a quick dusting of flour isn't a bad idea.

Fins...Mmm if you haven't cooked trout this way and you haven't tried salty crispy fins then you best dust off the fishing pole and get out. I think I like the crispy fins more then the meat itself..

A favorite of mine is fried rosemary springs.. Just cook em next to your trout, you'll love them.

Tonight it was brussel sprouts topped with fresh grated Parmesan and some long grain white rice. Lemons & fresh herbs were also hanging out.

Enjoy my photos and thanks for joining me!

click pics for larger version.

Hopper dropper rig was on fire but even single nymphs were doing great. Some caddis hatches were coming off so top water was choice today plus who would turn down catching trout on dry flies? !

Brookies are my favorite with out question but this time around, Bow vs Browny,  lil browny wins!

Last edited:
They certainly look good but are they Wild or Stocked? Here in PA they stock many streams but I have rarely seen Trout under 8" some of those looked quite small. Still Pretty though...JJ

The rainbows are 90% stocked, that's why I only kept one of them, some reproduce but the browns are mostly native in this water. The brookies are pretty much 100% native but for some reason today I didn't catch any.  The ones I kept were smalll. Just how I wanted them. I let some larger ones go because the native 6-12'' trout are my absolute favorite.

I have a couple stocked lakes that I have a blast with here in CO. My dog is also very spoiled because I make her dog food.. :)

Thats one nice looking plate of food, very healthy as well.

I haven't had trout in ages. Your pictures really make me want to give it a shot in the smoker.

Looks great!
Neighbor gifted me 8 rainbows a while back, I made kippered trout and smoked trout rillettes....what a treat!
~Marin
Thanks! Nice neighbor! Tell me more about the kippered & rillettes. I'm always looking for new ways to cook fish. I'm about to take a stab at canning some.
Thats one nice looking plate of food, very healthy as well.

I haven't had trout in ages. Your pictures really make me want to give it a shot in the smoker.
It was delicious. I usually just smoke large trout in my smoker but maybe I'll have to try some of these little guys sometime.
Yeah! CO! Trout season never closes here :)

Looks great!
Neighbor gifted me 8 rainbows a while back, I made kippered trout and smoked trout rillettes....what a treat!
~Marin
 That sounds Good! I have made a variety of Rillettes but not with Trout and never made Kippers... I'd like to see a Thread on these as well...JJ

I was in the middle of a long post about kippered trout when the forum went into maintenance mode and I lost it all!!!
mad.gif

I retry again sometime, maybe!
~Martin
mad.gif
 That is a Pain...I have had this happen as well, hope it gets cleared up...JJ

I was in the middle of a long post about kippered trout when the forum went into maintenance mode and I lost it all!!!
mad.gif

I retry again sometime, maybe!
~Martin
mad.gif
Sorry Martin. I've been doing mine in word and making sure to copy frequently because it takes a lot of effort to write up a good post and it's slightly devastating to lose one.
 That is a Pain...I have had this happen as well, hope it gets cleared up...JJ
I know one "hosted solution" provider that I'd totally avoid! It's ridiculous!
~Martin
We'd all love to see you recreate it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky