Pampering my MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Even though the MES smokers are supposedly insulated, I've always been pretty skeptical. Yes, they have dual walls, but still. I've been using reflectix foil for a couple years on the outside of my 40 (as per the first pic) and mentally wise for me, it's done wonders, but during the colder days, when the wind is blowing I've felt a need to take it a step further.

The 2nd picture shows a cardboard shell (from a retired bicycle box), covered with a plastic wrap, that slides down and into position. The plastic wrap is to help bounce away the cold morning breezes and help retain whatever heat tries to sneak through the cardboard.

Anyway, yesterday I tried it out smoking some Salmon nuggets and I could not believe how stable the temps were and how easy they quickly rose to their programmed positions.

Yes most of the time I will not be using the box, unless I sense it will be needed during the cold winter breezy days. The box folds up and will reside in the smoking shed. The reflectix remains on the smoker all the time.

Oh and the last 3 pics are yes, finished product from yesterday test smoke
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1155.JPG
IMG_1156.JPG

Last edited:
Looks Great---Looks kinda like a Hot Water Heater Jacket!!
And Your Nuggets look Awesome as always!!!
Thanks for showing, Craig!!

Bear

Thanks all. Plan to bring most of the nuggets on tomorrow's Rock Cod / Dungeness crab fishing trip to share. Really don't plan to use the box very often, but knowing it is there ready to roll is a nice feeling to have. Next week is a Smoked Ling Cod session, weather permitting.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good. I also used the reflectix foil and also cut out a moving blanket that goes over that. Sure helps...

Funny is that my MES has a window on the door. And how often do I use it? LOL!!

I also must give a hoot for the mailbox mod. Being able to replenish, or change pellets without having to open the smoker's door is such a luxury. Cannot recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Tasty Looking Salmon!

Taking tips and tricks from the old Luhr Jensen Chief smokers, lol! Which I still have three of sitting in my shed.

Even though the MES smokers are supposedly insulated, I've always been pretty skeptical. Yes, they have dual walls, but still. I've been using reflectix foil for a couple years on the outside of my 40 (as per the first pic) and mentally wise for me, it's done wonders, but during the colder days, when the wind is blowing I've felt a need to take it a step further.

The 2nd picture shows a cardboard shell (from a retired bicycle box), covered with a plastic wrap, that slides down and into position. The plastic wrap is to help bounce away the cold morning breezes and help retain whatever heat tries to sneak through the cardboard.

Anyway, yesterday I tried it out smoking some Salmon nuggets and I could not believe how stable the temps were and how easy they quickly rose to their programmed positions.

Yes most of the time I will not be using the box, unless I sense it will be needed during the cold winter breezy days. The box folds up and will reside in the smoking shed. The reflectix remains on the smoker all the time.

Oh and the last 3 pics are yes, finished product from yesterday test smokeView attachment 424162View attachment 424164View attachment 424165View attachment 424166View attachment 424167
Great ideas! I never thought of that. It gets pretty cold here near Atlanta sometimes, and this looks like I'm gonna give it a try next time. Salmon looks great!

Tasty Looking Salmon!

Taking tips and tricks from the old Luhr Jensen Chief smokers, lol! Which I still have three of sitting in my shed.

Yup. Still have my big chief in semi retirement as well.

Those salmon nuggets look to die for. do you have a recipe?

Sure, but keep in mind....this recipe always tastes the best if your or your spouse caught the fish.

For most of my Salmon smokes I use the very simple 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugar over non iodized salt dry brine. Depending on the size of the pieces, I will brine the fish from 4-8 hours. In this case it was 4-1/2 hours.

lightly rinse and room dry for a couple hours.

Start smoking at 125, then bump to 135 next hour, then bump to145 next hour and continue until the It reaches the IT reaches 140+. I use alder for 2/3rds of the smoke, followed by apple for the remainder.

Remove and let it cool down. In this case I sprinkled it lightly with coarse pepper to give it a slight kick.

Just remember, the taste will not reach it's maximum capability unless ..................

CraigJuly172019.jpg

............you caught it :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm and 73saint
Yup. Still have my big chief in semi retirement as well.

Sure, but keep in mind....this recipe always tastes the best if your or your spouse caught the fish.

For most of my Salmon smokes I use the very simple 4/1 ratio of dark brown sugar over non iodized salt dry brine. Depending on the size of the pieces, I will brine the fish from 4-8 hours. In this case it was 4-1/2 hours.

lightly rinse and room dry for a couple hours.

Start smoking at 125, then bump to 135 next hour, then bump to145 next hour and continue until the It reaches the IT reaches 140+.

Remove and let it cool down. In this case I sprinkled it lightly with coarse pepper to give it a slight kick.

Just remember, the taste will not reach it's maximum capability unless ..................

View attachment 424388
............you caught it :emoji_sunglasses:
That's a nice catch!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky