Paint on Oklahoma Joe's Highlander

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
Passing my 18.5 WSM to my son in law. Considering an Oklahoma Joe's Highlander reverse flow to give stick burners a try. I see the main complaint is the paint burns off in the first few cooks. Considering sanding and painting with high temp engine paint before the first fire up. Anyone tried this? The problem I feel is sanding the whole thing down to bare metal first. It seems going over it with a DA sander to rough up the factory paint would just make good paint stick to bad paint and it might burn off anyways. Opinions? Thank you in advance.

My first stick burner was a forward flow Highland and I still use it some. The only place that rusts is the fire box, the cook chamber on mine does not, and I was constantly painting it with high temp paint which may last for 2-3 cooks. But I wasn't taking it down to bare metal each time, just wire brushing the rust off. That was over 3 years ago and now I don't worry about it anymore. When it cools down I clean out the ashes and cover it, that's it...

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky