Oxygen Therapy Lines

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Oxygen Therapy Lines

Get rid of those annoying Twists & Kinks

I’d like to help all of the people who are having trouble with their Oxygen Therapy lines getting twisted & kinked. I’m sure some of my Meat Smoking Friends have run into this problem.
Maybe you have a friend or Relative who is on oxygen at home, and you can be their Hero, by solving this problem for them.
I have read a lot of these help forum things over the last 6 months, and tried most of the suggestions.
I tried a number of different sizes, name brands, and colors, and absolutely nothing helped in any “Real” way.

Then I got a brain storm, and did a few experiments:
I keep my Concentrator centrally located in my house, so that I can reach every place on the main floor with 49 feet of hose. So I had a single 50’ section of oxygen line, and it was always twisted up, very much like a “Slinky” gets, or like monofilament fishing line gets when a bait gets to spinning too much, without a swivel in use. Then if you don’t deal with it & get rid of some of the twist, it eventually kinks up, and can actually stop the oxygen from flowing. So I got the bright idea that I could replace that 50’ line with 2 sections of 25’, joined together with a “Swivel Connector”, and that swivel connector would help keep the line from twisting. So I tried it, and it did work, but only by a small amount, because 2 lengths of 25’ each is a little too much for one swivel connector to deal with. But that showed me that I could take the next step in my experiment.
So I got some 14’ sections of hose, and joined them together with 2 swivel connectors. So the following lines, 3 X 14’ sections, 1X7’ Cannula, and 3 Swivel Connectors add up to 49’ and a few inches, which gets me to all of the places I have to get to throughout the day. And here is the really good part. That whole set-up lays absolutely flat on the floor!!
That’s right——ABSOLUTELY FLAT !! NO Twists—No Kinks!!

It’s a beautiful thing—Give it a try!

BTW: If this wouldn’t have gotten as good as it did, I was prepared to go with smaller sections, like maybe 7 sections of 7’ each, plus 7 swivel connectors.
But so far I haven’t needed that. I’ve been using my 3 X 14’, plus one 7’ Cannula, plus 3 swivel connectors. It’s been working perfectly since April!!

Bearcarver

First off, I’m sorry that you have to be on oxygen. But being who you are, you had to find a better way. Maybe you should get a patent. Thanks for posting, I hope it helps a lot of folks!
Al

Necessity is the mother of invention. Nicely solved.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice thinking . That's not just a place to put a hat is it ? That has to be a relief , glad it's working out .

Nothing like advocating for yourself. Nice job Bear. Sounds like this will work, and I hope this makes your life easier.

That's an excellent idea, John. Glad you got it figured out and it's working. This is very nice of you to post and offer help.

That's an excellent idea, John. Glad you got it figured out and it's working. This is very nice of you to post and offer help.
Thank You Mike!
I was thinking, "I wish I found something like this when I needed it.
But then my Brain might have gotten too lazy from not having to think.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: ajbert
First off, I’m sorry that you have to be on oxygen. But being who you are, you had to find a better way. Maybe you should get a patent. Thanks for posting, I hope it helps a lot of folks!
Al
Thank You Al !!
It has to help some others. It's hard to believe how bad it coiled up all the time.
Linda would walk it down & run it through her hands twice a day to straighten it out, but it would just coil up again. Since I changed it up, I just drop it anywhere, and it just lays there, nice and flat.
And Thanks for the Like

Bear

Thanks John they have me on oxygen but I only use it at night but have the same coiling up and kinking problem I'll try your method out. Oh I also have to use oxygen when I have to wear a face mask I have an Innogen for portable. Covid has gotten quite bad around here again most cases aren't real severe but the hospitals do have multiple patients on vents again. Wife is seeing lots of cases everyday she works in the ER ranging from babies to old people so far all I've heard of is adults on vents. Most of but not all of the bad cases are people that weren't vaccinated.

Al
Just publicly disclosed the idea, there goes the ability to patent… great idea though…
So as that goes, if you ever have a great idea , dont publically disclose it, you can tell certain people in private but best to keep it close…not directed at you Al, just our great members in general.

Oxygen Therapy Lines

Get rid of those annoying Twists & Kinks

I’d like to help all of the people who are having trouble with their Oxygen Therapy lines getting twisted & kinked. I’m sure some of my Meat Smoking Friends have run into this problem.
Maybe you have a friend or Relative who is on oxygen at home, and you can be their Hero, by solving this problem for them.
I have read a lot of these help forum things over the last 6 months, and tried most of the suggestions.
I tried a number of different sizes, name brands, and colors, and absolutely nothing helped in any “Real” way.

Then I got a brain storm, and did a few experiments:
I keep my Concentrator centrally located in my house, so that I can reach every place on the main floor with 49 feet of hose. So I had a single 50’ section of oxygen line, and it was always twisted up, very much like a “Slinky” gets, or like monofilament fishing line gets when a bait gets to spinning too much, without a swivel in use. Then if you don’t deal with it & get rid of some of the twist, it eventually kinks up, and can actually stop the oxygen from flowing. So I got the bright idea that I could replace that 50’ line with 2 sections of 25’, joined together with a “Swivel Connector”, and that swivel connector would help keep the line from twisting. So I tried it, and it did work, but only by a small amount, because 2 lengths of 25’ each is a little too much for one swivel connector to deal with. But that showed me that I could take the next step in my experiment.
So I got some 14’ sections of hose, and joined them together with 2 swivel connectors. So the following lines, 3 X 14’ sections, 1X7’ Cannula, and 3 Swivel Connectors add up to 49’ and a few inches, which gets me to all of the places I have to get to throughout the day. And here is the really good part. That whole set-up lays absolutely flat on the floor!!
That’s right——ABSOLUTELY FLAT !! NO Twists—No Kinks!!

It’s a beautiful thing—Give it a try!

BTW: If this wouldn’t have gotten as good as it did, I was prepared to go with smaller sections, like maybe 7 sections of 7’ each, plus 7 swivel connectors.
But so far I haven’t needed that. I’ve been using my 3 X 14’, plus one 7’ Cannula, plus 3 swivel connectors. It’s been working perfectly since April!!

Bearcarver
Good idea. If you think the swivels could benefit from some lube there’s high presuure O2 stuff I use for diving that I can tell ya about.

Thanks John they have me on oxygen but I only use it at night but have the same coiling up and kinking problem I'll try your method out. Oh I also have to use oxygen when I have to wear a face mask I have an Innogen for portable. Covid has gotten quite bad around here again most cases aren't real severe but the hospitals do have multiple patients on vents again. Wife is seeing lots of cases everyday she works in the ER ranging from babies to old people so far all I've heard of is adults on vents. Most of but not all of the bad cases are people that weren't vaccinated.
Thanks Piney!
This should help you. Make sure you get the ones that "swivel", because they do make connectors that don't swivel & they look nearly the same.
I have the Innogen "At Home" and the Gen #5 portable, but I don't use the portable much, because I hardly ever leave my house.
Let me know how it works for you.

Bear

Just publicly disclosed the idea, there goes the ability to patent… great idea though…
So as that goes, if you ever have a great idea , dont publically disclose it, you can tell certain people in private but best to keep it close…not directed at you Al, just our great members in general.

Thank You Rat !!
I'm not trying to make money---Just help others if I can.
I like seeing others getting a more direct route to something that works, instead of all the trial & error normally involved.

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615 and tbern
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky