Owl Deterrent

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Dont want to shoot the hawk so I think this is going to be the best way to keep the hawk away.

owl7.jpg

Good . I wouldn't want to kill it either . If that doesn't work maybe the State Conservation can be of some help .

Reactions: sawhorseray
My dad used those on his dock to keep the seagulls away and they worked for awhile, but eventually they got used to them and would return. He found that moving the decoys around occasionally helped...

Reactions: chopsaw
I have had bird troubles for years and tried just about everything on the market. Any decoy needs to be moved periodically or the birds just get used to it . The best one I found is the " Scare Eye Octopus " It kept the birds away for at least 3 weeks before they got used to it. My buddy searched the internet for something to keep the Hawks away from his chickens and he found a fan operated halloween type witch . He looked it over closely and built one just like it and it is awesome ! Do a search and you will find it.

I had 2 of the owls when we lived in FL around the 5th wheel, had to move every couple days, the tree rats were figuring them out.

Maybe I missed something; what's the problem with the hawk? Do you have chickens?
My nephew's lost a couple of his due to a hawk.

The owl helped keep barn swallows away from trying to build nests on top of the windows. Did move it occasionally. When the head quit rotating it no longer worked. 360° rotate
1671585635884.png

I didn't know you let the ladies out of the protected areas.
The predators is why our egg lady keeps a rooster. Same with another friend that has chickens. Both of them free range the birds. The boys do a pretty good job of watching out for the girls. Both have dogs that also help and learned the fowl is not food or play toys.

The owl thing worked for me 1 day to chase the birds from crapping on the pickup.
The squirrels chittered for an hour and then ran over it (stationary mount).
I hung it on a string so it would sway in the wind. Birds and squirrels never gave it a second look after the first day even with moving it.
I have to watch for the Cooper's Hawks and Kestrels (sparrow hawks) swooping through my yard chasing down a meal. Owl never fazed them, either.
I live IN town, too.

I dont let them out of the coop. The hawk has been on the fence and roof of the coop.
We fixed the few places where the hawk could have gotten in around the roof.

I dont let them out of the coop. The hawk has been on the fence and roof of the coop.
We fixed the few places where the hawk could have gotten in around the roof.
Yeah, my nephew learned that the hard way. They're kept inside a large chicken-wire enclosure now. He had a rooster, but it was the first one to run away when a hawk appeared.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky