Overnight pork shoulders

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nick-IA

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 18, 2020
Doing 8 butts to make pulled pork sandwiches to sell at concessions for our track meet today. Decided to cook overnight to make sure I had plenty of time if the cook went longer than anticipated. Not the best conditions - it’s currently 28 degrees and 20 mph winds, but the cook is going well and the cedar smoker is holding temp well. This doubles the most I’ve done at once. Just wrapped them after about 6 hours on, all around 150 degrees. Here’s the photos so far, I’ll post the results later this morning.

Here they are scored and ready for seasoning.

61C2D448-EED0-4F72-82C5-6E14F013DEF1.jpeg

All seasoned up

3FD812B7-CDFD-4903-A363-4BFEEE528B1B.jpeg

Pulled to wrap after 6 hours. Temps ranged between 145-150. Bark looks good I think.

51EE4813-0BE9-465A-897A-2F4317EF4493.jpeg

7846BF12-965B-440C-9704-266F17250E70.jpeg

754256D5-B432-4C7F-801B-65879AAEFB3D.jpeg

Nice! Good call on doing them early! Are you going to use a finishing sauce when you pull them? That bark looks so good, man I’m doing Pp this weekend! Great work! Looking forward to the end!

Gonna be tasty for sure! Definitely gonna be first place in the concession stand rating! Beautiful weather for a track meet...kinda like freeze your a-- off! And yes I always rated the concession stands...lots of time to sit and eat.

Ryan

The cook went very well. Ended up at just under 12 hours. Only bummer is we cancelled the meet due to weather. But I’ll just freeze it for another large event I’m doing at the end of April, so all is not lost. Here’s a couple of the final shots.

8BA6E8BD-09ED-4AEF-8F90-9118697D7937.jpeg

4C7DD60E-7C89-4956-8A10-214F8EA8F4C9.jpeg

Gonna be tasty for sure! Definitely gonna be first place in the concession stand rating! Beautiful weather for a track meet...kinda like freeze your a-- off! And yes I always rated the concession stands...lots of time to sit and eat.

Ryan

Yeah I was excited to offer something like this at concessions. I did some for district baseball last year and it was a hit. But too many teams cancelled on us today so we killed it. Oh well. On to the next one.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Doing 8 butts to make pulled pork sandwiches to sell at concessions for our track meet today. Decided to cook overnight to make sure I had plenty of time if the cook went longer than anticipated. Not the best conditions - it’s currently 28 degrees and 20 mph winds, but the cook is going well and the cedar smoker is holding temp well. This doubles the most I’ve done at once. Just wrapped them after about 6 hours on, all around 150 degrees.

Boy, does that look good!

Now, here's what I'm worried most about with smoking and other food experiments in general: Safety. I don't want me or my wife being killed by my cooking.

We know that food held between 40° F and 140° F longer than four hours is dangerous. You went six hours to hit 150°. How come you're not dead?

Murph

Reactions: TNJAKE
That pulled pork looks awesome! Sounds like the next event will be a breeze and you’ll get to sleep in a little bit.

I'd have to have a couple of sammichs (taste test you know) before I froze it. Looks darn good.
Jim

Boy, does that look good!

Now, here's what I'm worried most about with smoking and other food experiments in general: Safety. I don't want me or my wife being killed by my cooking.

We know that food held between 40° F and 140° F longer than four hours is dangerous. You went six hours to hit 150°. How come you're not dead?

Murph
Fully intact cuts of meat such as pork butts and briskets are considered mostly sterile on the inside. Bacteria only lives on the surface. So the 40-140 rule only applies to the surface. Even though he stayed in the danger zone for 6hr the surface likely hit 140 in a couple hours killing any bad stuff. Things that can make the center become unsterile is injection and meat probes

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Hmph. I can accept that. Neat!

I came here for jerky recipes and learned about brining for safety's sake during a long dehydration.

Thanks for helping me feel better about the long smoke times, TNJAKE!

Murph

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky