Overnight bacon smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WillRunForQue

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 22, 2014
Central IL
If you don't make your own bacon, you have got to give it a shot. I'm kicking myself for years of not knowing better. But thanks to Pops Brine and my Spicewine with DigiQ, it couldn't be easier.

I usually cut a Costco belly into thirds to fit into my brining bucket. This time I did two bellies in for 2 weeks in cure before I could smoke them. 2 slabs were coated in black pepper and 4 regular.

I know many guys cold smoke, I prefer to do a long smoke at 165 to get it to 145*. Last night that meant 17 hours of warm smoke and still half of my charcoal snake left!

Into the fridge for a few days until I get a good chance to slice!

20180518_160543.jpg
20180519_072007.jpg
20180519_100303.jpg

I prefer my bacon cold smoked, but your bacon looks absolutely fantastic!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Fantastic Work!

More Notes!

Pat

More notes... shoot, I can always talk more BBQ!

This was my first smoke after installing my new door seals. Needed to be done for a long time, ended up ordering them from McMaster, seemed like a good price and worked great.

Also my first smoke with the smaller bags of RO Chef's Select from Wal-Mart instead of the big bags from DoItBest. At least from what I've read they are the same.

Will try to post another pic once they're sliced.

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
I prefer my bacon cold smoked, but your bacon looks absolutely fantastic!
Great work & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Thanks All! Yeah, I have cold smoked a few times in my MES with and without a mailbox mod for my maze. I just kept having trouble keeping the dust lit so switched to using the big smoker. Plus my oldest likes to eat a meaty slice once in a while right out of the package, so 145 is where I take it now. Does mean I have to have it mostly frozen to slice or it's messy!

Thanks for the carousel nod, first time!!

Nice job, that bacon looks yummy! I was in Costco yesterday and it was everything I could do to avoid buying another belly! There was a nice thick one in the batch, too.

Like!

Nice job, that bacon looks yummy! I was in Costco yesterday and it was everything I could do to avoid buying another belly! There was a nice thick one in the batch, too.

Like!
Thanks Saint, my next Costco or Sam's trip will be for a prime brisket, been having burnt end withdrawal!

I have never hot smoked my Bacon that looks good,nice job Likes
Richie

Thanks Richie!

Reactions: mules
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky