Other Hobbies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pig sooie

Original poster
Oct 30, 2013
South Arkansas
My wife says I have to many hobbies but I just remind her that im not in the house bugging her. Anyway here is some pics of a couple of mine other ones and I know you guys (and gals) have some other ones also so lets see them.

Some woodcarving

A table I made out of redoak scraps from the local sawmill, I actually hand planed each strip for the table top and laminated them together. also their is no nails or screws just dowel rods to hold it together.

Some of my rifles I painted using a digital camo pattern, you can tell I was in the Marines
781.gif

Here is my first knife I made, It was cut out of an old saw blade and the handle is black walnut, I used a brass brazing rod for the pins. All I had to cut it with was and dremel and a file to shape it. The bare minimal is a good learning curve but I am glade I got that portaband on the table top now.

Anyway lets see some of everybody's else's that is how I always find a new one.

Ha! Wife says I got too many hobbies also. We have a mutual understanding though. I don't complain when she comes home with shoes and purses and she don't complain when I come home with stuff for my hobbies.
do a lot of shooting, mostly trap shooting but now that ammo and components are coming back down in price it may be time to dust off my handguns and rifles

just picked up reloading for my shotgun. Also built the bench it's sitting on. I'm by no means an expert or even above average in wood working but I love doing it.
finally hunting and fishing. Again not overly good at either but love doing it.

Would love to get into reloading, the bolt action is a .308 and I shoot 168 grain BTHP match grade and the price of those puppies are up their, but like you said and I have heard from other reloaders is that the price different isn't big but if you wanted to fine tune your ammo it is the way to go. Also the reload table looks good and most of all it is functional. Also I see your avatar is a fallen officer, sorry for your lose, as I was as well a brother in blue after I got out of the Marines.

Would love to get into reloading, the bolt action is a .308 and I shoot 168 grain BTHP match grade and the price of those puppies are up their, but like you said and I have heard from other reloaders is that the price different isn't big but if you wanted to fine tune your ammo it is the way to go. Also the reload table looks good and most of all it is functional. Also I see your avatar is a fallen officer, sorry for your lose, as I was as well a brother in blue after I got out of the Marines.
Yeah reloading shotshell especially you don't save anything. I can make a box of shells for around $5 so I save about a dollar over buying the cheap boxes. Difference is in the quality. I honestly think my reloads are better than the sts or AA I'd pay twice as much for. Haven't got into reloading metallic but you can definitely save some money there and produce a better cartridge.

The avatar: I'm a dispatcher for our county 911. Mike was an officer for my hometown that I got to know real well through one of my buddies and had the privilege to dispatch for and hang out with. He was a hell of a guy.

My other hobbies are black powder playing my guitars fishing hunting and flying rc planes and helicopters.

My mom used to get excited about my dad's hobbies.

He would get into one and follow it.  Then he was on to the next one? Curious and wandering mind.

Better than chasing different women, isn't it?

You do beautiful work!

Now I am a little like my dad?

But shooting is a lifelong love.  Wish I had the eyesight and the heart rate I did when I was younger!

Still like going to the range and burning off some ammo, though.  Not too bad for a half blind old fart!

Good luck and good smoking.

Big Biscuit them are some nice catches you got there. I love to fly fish, down here in Arkansas you can tear up the Bluegill when the weather gets right and they go to sucking the flies off the top of the water, I love that sound. I just bought a kayak this year for that, and I can get into the back shallow water, it is fun, but I'm still getting use to the kayak and half of the time I end up in the water.

Venture, you couldn't of said it better, when I get bored I start thinking of other things I would like to do. I have to give it to my wife she is very supportive in what I do. That is one reason I love smoking is because I get to share what I love to do with family and friends, and it one of the things I have never heard them complain about.

Pig sooie there is nothing like watching a striped bass or bluefish launch itself 4' to 6' up in air trying to hit a popper you're working through a rip. Makes my heart race every time. 

I bet, I would love to try it some time. I spent 2 years in Hawaii 8 years at the outerbanks of North Carolina and kick myself because I never did any good fishing while I was their.

Reasoning?

You will know when the time is right.

When the time is right get that young man out to the range and teach him to shoot safely.

My best days at the range?

Watching kids shoot with their father or their grandfather for the first time.

Second best days at the range?

Watching a gal shoot her first weapon.

In either case?

Nobody could wipe the smiles off their face!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
I'm into just about everything. I love my car and bike. I built the teardrop camper from the ground up. I like my guns too. I love woodwork but seldom find time. I tend to focus on one thing and obsess over it for a period of time, then its on to the next thing. Which wouldn't be bad, if I would learn to sell off inventory when I'm over it.

Like others, I enjoy smoking because I don't have to beg people to participate with me. Everyone else gets tired of my other hobbies.

Eight433 my wife has been after me to build a teardrop, it might be the only way I can get her to go camping. I started my smoker build so the teardrop is on the back burner. I think i'm gonna go with the 4x8 trailer from harbor freight and start with that. I might have to bug you some when I start building, if that is ok.

Also love the rides, I just finished bobbing a 600 VLX, well almost finished. Everytime I look at it I want to do something else. I'll post pics when I get home

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky