Other Hobbies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is not a hobby I spend enough time on. These are all artworks that I created to be given away as Christmas gifts (it's about the only time I draw or paint any more). I have another project on the way for another gift this year, but I've been putting it off.

This is my deceased Grandma, from a photo taken on her 90th birthday party.

My other hobbies:
  • I make custom signs and do vinyl vehicle lettering
  • Keeping my 1990 Kawasaki ZX-6 alive
  • Photography
  • Stained Glass
  • Scale model building
One of many signs I did years ago.  This was a sign used to display all the sponsors at a golf event.  The sign is shown without them on there yet.  It was painted to look like old rusty riveted steel plates.  This was the base:

Here is the ZX-6, 45000 miles and still going:

Stained glass panel I did:

Senior photo I took of my oldest son:

My stepson's Senior football photo I did:

Last edited:
In addition to smoking meat, I brew a lot of beer and tinker with all of the DIY stuff that can go along with that. I dabble in photography and shoot a fair bit too.

I began collecting 3 wheelers a while back, and I think at last count I have around 17 in one form or another. It used to be a daily thing to scan Ebay and Craigslist for parts or more machines. I've eventually run out of room to store them, and even working on them is a chore the past year. I bought a fish/ski boat this last summer, and that has taken over the spotlight the past few months. Now that it's getting colder, and I've gotten a smoker......................................well, my priorities have changed a little. Here's a viewing of my better trikes. I've rebuilt and customized a few of them.

Reactions: dr bbq
Nice photos, people! I would post pics of my other obsession but it would probably bore most of you.

I'm a die-hard audio fanatic. I have a better home theater/sound system than anyone I know and me and the wife watch about 2-3 movies per week, mostly "indies." When the family isn't home I usually crank up some Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Rush, Dream Theater, Floyd, or some nice vocal Jazz and Classical. I have a pair of vintage Polk SDA-2B speakers with in-wall speakers for the other channels, a Marantz 7.1 AVR, a 2-channel Emotiva UPA-200 external amp for my front speakers, and custom in-wall wiring with special speaker jacks. Oh, and BTW, if you like live concerts, you MUST buy the new Muse Blu-Ray filmed live at the Olympic Stadium in Rome. Just came out last week and I can't get this band out of my head!

Keep the hobbies coming. Lots of fun to read.

I can't say I am surprised at the hobbies you all have.  Figured there would be huntin fishin and woodworkin. 

I spend A LOT of time at my boys' sporting events.  I never played anything, other than a year or 2 of Little League, I was however on the high school rifle team.  I coach one or both of my boy's baseball teams.  I have learned a ton about baseball over the last 4 or 5 years.  My oldest son's all star baseball coach pitched in the bigs, so I have learned sooo much from him.  I did a stint as an assistant football coach, but that was only to get a better seat at the banquet. 

I am also an officer at the local volunteer fire company. 

Music is HUGE for me.

Otherwise, I work.......

Yeah reloading shotshell especially you don't save anything. I can make a box of shells for around $5 so I save about a dollar over buying the cheap boxes. Difference is in the quality. I honestly think my reloads are better than the sts or AA I'd pay twice as much for. Haven't got into reloading metallic but you can definitely save some money there and produce a better cartridge.

The avatar: I'm a dispatcher for our county 911. Mike was an officer for my hometown that I got to know real well through one of my buddies and had the privilege to dispatch for and hang out with. He was a hell of a guy.
I hunt, fish, kayak and mess around with military vehicles.  I used to shoot NRA High Power rifle and Outdoor Pistol at a pretty high level and still reload for hunting.

If you cruise over to chuckhawks.com and check the reloading page you'll find an article on the potential savings through reloading that should help you decide if it's for you.

Lance

This is my deceased Grandma, from a photo taken on her 90th birthday party.
Bertman, I absolutely love this picture of your Grandma!

Love me some fishing. Hope to kill my first hog to here this week.

BBM, those are some GREAT looking kings!  Pretty sure you didn't get them in Guam so I'm guessing you might be in the Navy?

As many others have said, my wife thinks I have to many hobbies.  Well, I just picked up a Hornady Lock N Load Classic single stage.  Bought a .41 mag earlier in the year and the price for that particular cartridge finally pushed me over the brink to get into reloading.  Once we move next year I'll be looking into getting a Shopsmith to set up a wood working shop.  I do need to dust off my golf clubs and get back out there hacking away.  Plan on getting into gardening once we move and I will truly have no clue what I'll be doing.

The good news is once we move I don't plan on working.  Well, not full time at least.  Might find a part time job just to keep me off the streets.  Those streets will be in the mountains of Colorado so I'm not sure just how much trouble I'll be able to get myself into.

I won't go into the various firearms I have as my wife might read this and realize I've been "acquiring" much more than she knows about.  I love to fish for anything that swims in the water but will more than likely liquidate a number of rods and reels before we move.  I also work on our vehicles and plan on putting a two post lift in the shop once we move.

And then there is smoking all kinds of foods.  I will also start processing wild game rather than paying for it.  Been getting the necessary tools for that.  The good news is after the move I'll have much more time on my hands to do everything (I hope) that I don't have the time, nor the space, to do now.

Thanks, AJBert. She made everyone of drinking age do a shot with her that day. She said she had earned that right.

I wasn't sure I'd get this done in time for Christmas. Finished it last night:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky