Ornamental pear as smoke wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thsmormonsmokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 11, 2011
Lindon, UT
So a friend of my Mom's just had an ornamental pear tree fall over due to heavy snow recently. Does anybody know if this would make good smoke wood? Mostly I'm concerned with safety. Second, I'm wondering if this would be significantly different than any other pear wood, which I've heard is really good.

I can't figure why not, but wondered if anybody knew more about this than me (not all that difficult). It's just a type of pear selectively bred to be pretty and not really produce any pears bigger than about 1/2" across.

Also, if there are any members near me that are interested, I could arrange to go get some of it for your smoker. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Dallas, morning.....  Cut it up into chunks..... let it dry.... and try it....  It may be great and you would kick yourself later for pitching it....   Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky