Ordering a side of beef. Cut list for dry aging and smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

greglovesbeer

Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Fairfield, Ca
Hi All,

I’m investigating ordering my first side of beef this fall. The standard cut lists seem to focus on ready-to-serve steaks and roasts. I’d like to use most of the meat to dry age before processing further and/or having large roasts ready for the smoker. I’m really not interested in ground hamburger or stew meat. Below is the cut list I’ve been working on. I’d appreciate any feedback or tips from someone who has done this before.

Thanks in advance.

1. Chuck Primal

1. Chuck Rib Plate (How to cut)
    2. Chuck Tender

1. Chuck Tender Roast
    3. Chuck Roll

1. Chuck Eye Roll 116D

2. Beef Chuck Underblade, Untrimmed 116G
    4. Shoulder Clod

1. Petite Tender / Butcher Steak (Whole) - 114F

2. Shoulder Clod Roast

1. Ranch Steaks
      3. Top Blade (114D untrimmed)
    5. Neck Roast
  2. Brisket Primal 120

3. Shank Primal

1. Shank Cross Cuts / osso bucco
  4. Plate Primal

1. Inside Skirt Steak

2. Outside Skirt Steak

3. Navel

4. Short Rib Plate (How to cut?)
  5. Round Primal

1. Oyster Steak

2. Top Round

3. Eye Round

4. Bottom Round

5. Knuckle
  6. Sirloin Primal

1. Bottom Loin

1. Tri Tip Roast

2. Sirloin Flap

3. Ball Tip Roast
    2. Top Sirloin (whole)
  7. Flank Primal

8. Loin Primal Bone in(keep together if possible)

1. Tenderloin 189

2. Strip Loin 175
  9. Rib Primal (107)

10. Extras

1. Suet

2. Femur Bone (Split)

3. Heart

4. Tongue

5. Liver

6. Kidneys

7. Cheeks

8. Testicles

If you get a western steer, you won't get testicles; they are neutered.

Short Rib Plate (How to cut?)
beef plate short ribs1.jpg

Beef rib plate section separated w short ribs.jpg

This is where the beef plate short ribs come from.

Reactions: fivetricks
Likewise, the skirt steaks come off the plate also (above where the lines are drawn). Both inside and outside (diaphram).

I'm not sure if that is a list that you made or that your butcher did. I hope it's one that your butcher did because if so you have found a winner for sure. If not here is a little bit more research that I always keep open on my phone.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/imps

if I'm in your position I'm asking for as little Burger as possible which ultimately just ends up being the trim cuts and asking for as many primals as possible so that you can slice and butcher to your personal needs when you need them

I'm not sure if that is a list that you made or that your butcher did. I hope it's one that your butcher did because if so you have found a winner for sure. If not here is a little bit more research that I always keep open on my phone.

https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/imps

Thanks! This is a cut list I came up with. I used IMPS, USDA and Youtube vids as reference materials to put the list together.

If I turn this over to the butcher is it clear enough what I’m looking for?

There will be less loss and less aggravation with storage if the Butcher will age the Entire Side before Cutting. Aged as a whole Side all the stuff that gets cut away, will protect the meat. After aging and portioning you got 100% edible meat. If you age it, the meat gets waste removed TWICE, from the initial cutting and you cutting away the dried meat and rancid fat. If the Butcher/Processor has space in the hanging room, this should be no problem, as Extra Aging is an old courtesy. 80+ years ago, Grandpa, 3 Butcher Shops, would go to the Slaughter House. He would pick the 2 week aged Sides he wanted then said, " The Boys will be back in 4 weeks to pick them up..." Butcher/Slaughter Houses, I have work with in my Restaurant days 15 years ago, did the Same. I saw one FUNKY, Moldy Side in one operation. When I asked about it, I was told the owner wanted a 75 Day Age on the Beef!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky