Opinions on pork rib smoking temps. WHATS YOUR TAKE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
225-250 Smoker temp. Usually no wrap. Always Hickory wood. Before I joined this forum I cooked them to 160 IT, and they were terrible. Now I've learned to go to 190 or higher IT for fall off the bone that my Wife likes. I prefer the perfect bite as pictured by Ryan earlier. Usually goes 5-6 hours.

Greetings all. Since back in the caveman era, I have been smoking pork ribs both Baby Backs and Saint Louis style the same way. Throw em on with whatever rub I like at the time with hickory, black wild cherry or oak splits, sometimes mixing the woods. Most of the time 250 degrees and sometime even lower. Just according how I'm feeling. 99% of the time I don't wrap. Lately I have been curious about higher temps. Maybe 300 degrees. Let me hear from you. What's your favorite temp. Thanks to all and keep on smokin!!
I like to do them at lower temps but I am a wrap guy. If I get the fire too hot the butter/sugar mixture in my wrap will burn and leave an awful taste.

I like to do them at lower temps but I am a wrap guy. If I get the fire too hot the butter/sugar mixture in my wrap will burn and leave an awful taste.

Try the no wrap maybe you can skip the burn. Also if you lower the temperature could help.
My $.02 I don't go over 225.

Warren

Last edited:
Try the no wrap maybe you can skip the burn. Also if you lower the temperature could help.
My $.02 I don't go over 225.

Warren

Warren
Warren,
No doubt you are correct. I only smoke at 225 now when I am going to wrap them. I learned my lesson the hard way on these.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
With my old offset I ran Oak or Hickory about 250°. Now that I'm using a pellet grill I start out low for an hour or so and then 225° to get good smoke flavor. Don't wrap. Haven't settled on pellets yet but LumberJack 100% Hickory is the leading contender.

Reactions: MJB05615
Last time i did ribs ( two weeks ago) i made my cherry ribs. i used St louis Style and cooked in cherry rub and cherry sauce. my smoker ran hot that day and i built toon big a fire and ghas my smoker running 325-350 al day. i cooked my ribs for 3 hours and sauce for 20 minutes. here is finished product.

IMG_20201128_093128.jpg

Hot and fast tasted good and came out nice too, just gotta watch them!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Last time i did ribs ( two weeks ago) i made my cherry ribs. i used St louis Style and cooked in cherry rub and cherry sauce. my smoker ran hot that day and i built toon big a fire and ghas my smoker running 325-350 al day. i cooked my ribs for 3 hours and sauce for 20 minutes. here is finished product.

View attachment 474532

Hot and fast tasted good and came out nice too, just gotta watch them!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
That looks really good. Nice glaze !

I'm a no-wrap guy. My temp is driven by the clock. Sunday morning at 9:15 am I threw an untrimmed 7 lb rack of spares on a 250F smoker. I suspect they were still partially frozen given the ice I scrapped off the underside. I expected them to be done around 3 pm for an early dinner around 4. Later, I learned my wife had plans until 6. No big hurry. Better early than late.

One poke at 3:15 told me they were no where near done. Meat temp was only 167F, which surprised me. Cranked up the chamber to 300F and by 5 pm they poked ready to sauce. Dropped the temp back down to 250F and an hour later they poked tender. I have no idea of the final IT. Took them off and served without a rest. Juicy, tender, and a nice bark.

Total time was just shy of 9 hours. That was probably the longest time I've taken to smoke a single rack of ribs that weren't done at 225F, so they had obviously not thawed completely.

I'm a no-wrap guy. My temp is driven by the clock. Sunday morning at 9:15 am I threw an untrimmed 7 lb rack of spares on a 250F smoker. I suspect they were still partially frozen given the ice I scrapped off the underside. I expected them to be done around 3 pm for an early dinner around 4. Later, I learned my wife had plans until 6. No big hurry. Better early than late.

One poke at 3:15 told me they were no where near done. Meat temp was only 167F, which surprised me. Cranked up the chamber to 300F and by 5 pm they poked ready to sauce. Dropped the temp back down to 250F and an hour later they poked tender. I have no idea of the final IT. Took them off and served without a rest. Juicy, tender, and a nice bark.

Total time was just shy of 9 hours. That was probably the longest time I've taken to smoke a single rack of ribs that weren't done at 225F, so they had obviously not thawed completely.
I have several Saint Louis racks frozen. I think I will do a rack @ 300 and see if it makes a difference.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky