Open House for My Builder, Pulled Pork/Burgers/Dogs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Mornin' everyone!! So we recently closed on a house we had built. I brought my rig with me to closing since we were moving stuff right away. The builder was out in the parking lot when i pulled up and his eyes got REAL big.

June 24. He told me that I would have to donate the meat and my time and in return, he would do whatever we chose to the house. So we decided on crown molding.

The builder said to expect 125 ppl and mentioned doing a whole pig. I asked hik what he wanted to have the pig for and he said "just pulled pork." I quickly told him it would be much easier to just do butts since he didnt plan on any kind of display, not to mention I'll be there by myself so logistically it didnt make sense.

I ordered 20 butts, 40 burgers and 40 hot dogs from a local butcher. Got a pretty good deal for it all too ($359)

So here's the plan......I'll get off of work thursday night and rub all the butts and place them back in the fridge. When I get home friday night at 830, I'll pack everything up in the 150qt cooler and go set up for the open house. I'll fire the cooker up around 930 and get the butts on right away. I like to stick with 250-275 for temp when cooking butts, but since I'll have 12 hrs til they need to be ready, I'll start out a little lower, around 235 or 240. The open house starts at 11 and runs til 2, so once the first few are done, ill wrap them and put them in the cooler to rest for a while before pulling them.

The builder is supplying buns, toppings etc so my job is really easy. Going to make a few gallons of bbq sauce today and also make a big batch of rub since the following weekend I have the pig roast to do. Hope you all stay tuned, going to be a lot of pics coming your way!!

Reactions: k9tahoe
Open house? You're about a 5.5 hour drive from me so I need to leave at... Have a great time and enjoy the new place!

Heck of a nice smoker!!
20 butts is probably overkill, but you can never have enough PP.
Looking forward to following your smoke, and congrats on the new house.

125 people expected, until..... you posted it on the internet!!!!!

Great looking rig, I'd like to see some more photos of that also.  Sounds like you struck a great barter trade on the crown molding and I bet you end up smoking for that builder and the realtor on a regular basis after the event (not for free though).  Time to barter a backyard garage, smoking pavilion, etc.....

Oh and 20 butts for 125 people?  I thought we had big portions in the south, but wow, that's a lot of reserve meat.  Take home plates as well?

Last edited:
Heck of a nice smoker!!
20 butts is probably overkill, but you can never have enough PP.
Looking forward to following your smoke, and congrats on the new house.

Thank you very much. I figured it might be a little heavy, but remember there will be about 50 hungry construction contractors there as well. I know those boys can eat so I'd much rather have extra than not enough.

125 people expected, until..... you posted it on the internet!!!!!

Great looking rig, I'd like to see some more photos of that also.  Sounds like you struck a great barter trade on the crown molding and I bet you end up smoking for that builder and the realtor on a regular basis after the event (not for free though).  Time to barter a backyard garage, smoking pavilion, etc.....

Oh and 20 butts for 125 people?  I thought we had big portions in the south, but wow, that's a lot of reserve meat.  Take home plates as well?

I'll be taking more pics of the smoker when i do the pig roast july 2nd. There will moat definitely be take home plates. Last year they did a whole pig and had leftovers as well. Atleast everyone will have a good parting gift, and my contact info for their future needs ;)

Looked at the weather forecast for friday night and it doesnt look pretty at all. Supposed to get over an inch of raiin right when i get home and start setting up. Going to be a long night for sure, interested to see just how much its going to affect my timing. I have a canopy that Ill bring with me to keep the wood dry.
Going to rub all the butts tomorrow night when I get off work. That will make it 24 hrs that the rub is on there. I have always done it that way and get really great bark. The countdown continues!

I'm in.

That's a really nice looking smoker--looking forward to the cook and pics.

You must have lucked out and found a great builder. Nine years ago when our house was finally finished, i would have been VERY happy to put our builder INSIDE my smoker for an overnight cook.

Gary

Last edited:
Great looking rig

Thank you!

I'm in.

That's a really nice looking smoker--looking forward to the cook and pics.

You must have lucked out and found a great builder. Nine years ago when our house was finally finished, i would have been VERY happy to put our builder INSIDE my smoker for an overnight cook.

Gary

Lol, trust me there have been some hiccups along the way. They have made everything right so I cant really complain.

Found some more photos of the first time I broke it in

Took a trip to the orchard and scored a bin of apple wood....for $50!! Had to bring the helpers with me

They're now calling for 1-3" of rain, so this is going to get interesting

I like that sticker in the sliding rear window of your truck!...The Bird? Not so much! Go Tribe (All in Fun!)

Well that was an interesting night. The rain came as promised, along with some nasty winds. I managed to get a few pics. First ones are 2 hours into the cook and the last one is at 6 hours. I have 3.5 hours left til the butts need to be at 205 and resting. Currently they're averaging 143 IT. I wrapped them in foil to hopefully move them along with the remaining time I have left. I'll check back in a few hours and have the final pics!!

Foil 'em and crank up the heat a little more.  Hopefully it worked out as I think it is now past the time they were needed.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky