Onion Recall due to Salmonella ~ Does Pickling Kill Sally?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
It sounds like cases started showing up in mid-June, and our state has had 11 cases reported. HERE is a link to cases per state and the various packaging that the onions are found in. Does anyone know if pickling onions specifically kills salmonella? I make the refrigerator style, vinegar, sugar, salt and some aromatics like peppercorns, jalapeno or garlic.

Last edited:
Interesting. The link didn’t show.

good article here I just read about this.

A pH of 4 or less will kill or inhibit Salmonella growth. Straight White Vinegar has a pH between 2 and 3. Add keeping your Pickled Onions Refrigerated and there should be little to no risk...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
A pH of 4 or less will kill or inhibit Salmonella growth. Straight White Vinegar has a pH between 2 and 3. Add keeping your Pickled Onions Refrigerated and there should be little to no risk...JJ
Thanks, good to know. I had assumed that raw would pose the biggest risk. The problem with something like this is the tracing... it took a couple of weeks to figure out the source was onions. Some of my pickled onions were made before the earliest questionable shipment, and my last batch was made about two weeks ago, plus I have no reason to believe the markets I shop at even carried that brand of onions. The main issue for me is I always make extra and give a few jars away. I did remind everyone about the current warning and some had already eaten some.

As of yesterday, the reported cases in Wyoming have grown to 16....., but 10 or so are from one county, and most can be traced to onions. The health department does not get specific on naming stores or restaurants (yet) so this could be the result of one grocery store carrying them, or one restaurant serving contaminated salads.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
As above, Salmonella is controllable but I would also suggest, limiting distribution and feeding of your Onions to those folks At Risk. Immune Compromised or Sick people. The very Old or very Young. Just extra peace of mind until this outbreak passes.JJ

Reactions: thirdeye
Sodium chloride (salt) you are adding (albeit in smallish quantities) goes the other way (basic, not acidic), and inhibit doesn’t mean kill. I’d be careful ... onions are cheap.

Reactions: thirdeye
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky