One more Thanksgiving turkey thread.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daspyknows

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
el cerrito ca
On Monday I picked up 3 11 1/2 to 12 pound fresh turkeys ordered online a Sprouts Market. No line so that was easy. Tuesday night I put them in a brine made from water, kosher salt, 6 bottles of hard cider, granulated garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, fresh thyme and rosemary. Wednesday night I removed the birds from the brine and let air dry in the refrigerator. I wove up early Thursday, spatchcocked the birds. I made a mixture of butter, Old Bay garlic and herb spice and basil. Half of the butter went under the skin and half mixed with brine and injected. I put my spice rub on both sides of the birds and got my Horizon fired up with apple and hickory. I started at 225 until the IT hit 110 then I heated it up to 325. Meanwhile was cooking gravy using the early drippings plus the duck drippings I save from an earlier cook, stuffing, candied sweet potatoes, mash purple and Yukon Gold potatoes and creamed corn. Two of the turkeys were being picked up at about 1 and at 12:15 I was at 135. I figure I needed to hurry so boosted temps to 375-400 and the first two hit 155 at 12:55. Wrapped in foil and towels as the gravy finished and filled 2 jars to go with turkey pickups. Me and my son (just the 2 of us here) both ate home made edibles as we handed off the turkeys and finished the sides. Pulled our turkey off which was at the back of the smoker and ran slower (as planned) and let it rest as we cut the turkey and plated the food. What a feast as we watched some football. After food coma we put the apple crisp in the oven for desert and had some with whipped cream, ice cream and fresh raspberries.

I did get one complaint on the turkey It wasn't big enough and there wasn't enough for everyone. I had suggested getting a larger bird but was told that not everyone liked turkey. They also requested a bigger one for Christmas. I said, wait I wasn't going to be doing turkey.

We have lots of leftovers and here are a few pics. 20201126_184016 (2).jpg 20201126_142717 (1).jpg 20201126_140237 (1).jpg 20201126_105524.jpg 20201126_100949.jpg 20201126_082713.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky