One Leg Sourdough

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
Slowly slowly getting back in the kitchen.

Made this SD today. Starter hadn’t been touching on over 2 months in the refer, but showed no reluctance to come to life!

4446753B-865A-4DF9-815B-9017F80541CE.jpeg

0508466F-E361-41FE-9C59-EEF377552212.jpeg

Oh man that looks amazing! That’s a great step back into the game! I can’t help imagining some clam chowder inside that SD though! I can’t bake to save my life, one of the many things I see here that I’d love to get into, this just feeds that! Great work!

Looks great to me! Even better that you're able to get up and do it! Glad you're able to get back in the kitchen!

Ryan

Looks great Dave! A loaf last me two months anymore so I just used dried starter. Those look like heirloom tomatoes from Trader Joes. I love those!

Last edited:
That looks great. I can't bake stuff
Thanks! I used to think I couldn’t bake as well…

That’s very nice. Hope you are healing well.
Thank you, healing seem to be going OK. In 10 days I get the cast off and a walking boot.

Att'a boy, amazing looking loaf.

Doing Keto, has been tough on me, no bread, pizza, tamales or beer for me.
I'm down 40 lbs since December 10th though, so it's been worth it.
I prolly should do keto and several other better health changes, but we decided that after I’m back some sort of normal we will address them then.

Oh man that looks amazing! That’s a great step back into the game! I can’t help imagining some clam chowder inside that SD though! I can’t bake to save my life, one of the many things I see here that I’d love to get into, this just feeds that! Great work!
Many thanks

That looks amazing. Seriously. That’s a State Fair blue ribbon right there!
Thank you!

Awesome looking loaf! Just beautiful!
I was hoping the starter would be up for it after such a long fridge nap. And it was

Looks great to me! Even better that you're able to get up and do it! Glad you're able to get back in the kitchen!

Ryan
I miss cooking SO MUCH. The little I have done seems like its 10X harder than it should be, but it’s gotta be done.

Man that looks good.
Thank you

Looks great Dave! A loaf last me two months anymore so I just used dried starter. Those look like heirloom tomatoes from Trader Joes. I love those!
Them are TJ heirlooms. I want to make a caprese sandwich with the SD and them tomatoes.

That’s a beauty!
Al
Thanks Al!

Looks great Dave!! We love sourdough and that looks fantastic. Very nice job for having to hobble around to get it done. Sure hope the healing process is going well.

Robert

Reactions: sandyut
Looks great Dave!! We love sourdough and that looks fantastic. Very nice job for having to hobble around to get it done. Sure hope the healing process is going well.

Robert
Thank Robert, I didn’t realize how good the homemade SD was till we bought a loaf recently…store bought is so bland in comparison. I am sure its pretty funny to watch me try to cook, its a combo of crutching and rolling around in a desk chair - but it works.

I think healing to going well, but being in a cast and no weight bearing doesn’t reflect much except that there is little pain…unless i topple over and put the broken leg down to catch myself. Which doesn’t work and ends badly.

but being in a cast and no weight bearing doesn’t reflect much except that there is little pain

I feel your pain. When I was a sophomore in high school I spent 9 months on crutches with no weight bearing on my left leg. When they finally got everything fixed and I was able to start using the leg it was almost like learning to walk all over again. Additionally the muscles have all atrophied and need to rebuild to get the strength back. Heck, just walking 100 feet to the end of the driveway was exhausting. The fun stuff you have to look forward to :emoji_wink: It takes a while so just be patient and it'll happen.

Robert

tx smoker tx smoker thank you for the encouragement Robert. I was in a cast for three months when i was in my twenties. Same leg, compound fracture of the fibula and a broken tibia. I am hopeful their recovery will be not quite as bad this time. Everything on this round has been less painful by a mile.

I can’t imagine 9 months of no weight bearing…OMG. I can’t imagine.

Man, that is one beautiful loaf of bread! Love that golden color.
I've only recently gotten into sourdough and it fascinates me.
What kind of flour do you use for the starter? I'm assuming you use a dutch oven because of the "lift strips". Do you use the lid on the D.O.
during part of the cook? Baking temps? LOL, I could go on! I would love to see your recipe....
The only broken bones I've ever had was a finger and a toe. I can't imagine having a cast for months.

I can’t imagine 9 months of no weight bearing…OMG. I can’t imagine.

Yep, I destroyed my left knee playing football the first weekend after school started for the year and was still on crutches at my brother's graduation. Was a pretty miserable time, especially when you consider our high school was 3 stories :emoji_laughing:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky