1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

On fermented peppers(aka hot sauce.)

Discussion in 'Peppers' started by dave17a, Sep 22, 2018.

1. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Have frozen serranos and jalapeno from garden. Also have fresh peppers. Think frozen will work just as well after thawed? Can't really see a differance except maybe for how they are after thawed, not crispy. Thanks, dave

2. TomKnollRFV

TomKnollRFV Master of the Pit Group Lead

Going to follow this as well.

3. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

Distilled water is a must.

4. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yes Use a 3% salt brine with 2 tablespoons of white vinegar,it will get the fermentation going faster.
    Richie

5. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

The bacteria necessary for fermentation may have been "deactivated" during the freezing process.. I have no idea...
    You can add a bit of liquor from natural sour cream or yogurt for the bacteria if all else fails..

6. dave17a

dave17a Smoking Fanatic

Thanks all. I do have brine of celtic sea salt from a previous ferment ( Have a Perfect Pickler kit). Think it said to use a tbls. or so on next batch to get things going as a starter.

7. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Sounds like you are set with the fresh and some of your old ferment Good Luck post some pics if you have time
    Richie

8. MeatSkull

MeatSkull Meat Mopper

I do that with pickles or sauerkraut and use a cup of juice from previous batches, works great!