Old Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ConrodM

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 1, 2020
Florida
Howdy,
While on a trip to Shenandoah National Park, my wife and I were walking around the small town of Luray,Va. I saw this smoker and thought y’all might get a kick out of it. Maybe someone can identify manufacturer and give operating techniques. Enjoy!
C36EE392-30C4-4227-AE4B-2BD9A905CE59.jpeg

When I was a kid a lot of folks used oil for heat and that looks like an oil tank turned on its side and split. Seems awkward for much other than roasting whole hogs.
Kool!! They did a nice job converting 😁👍👍. After looking at it and the counter weights I was starting to believe it might be home fabricated.
Thanks for clueing me in 👍👍

I agree, likely homemade. They are great for Whole Hog or cooking A LOT of BBQ Chicken. They do make a pretty good Indirect Heat Smoker. Temp can be difficult to control, depending on fresh air vent placement, if any...JJ

Reactions: ConrodM
Note: Check out the Handles on the side! That is set up to Flip a double Grate and whatever is sandwiched in between. GREAT DESIGN, for whole hog or chicken halves.👍...JJ

Around these parts of Va they don't call those smokers.... usually "pig cookers" or just plain cookers. Probably no fire box at all. Some have a propane burner that runs down the center to get the charcoal rolling. Luray is nice this time of year. Haven't been up since the last smallmouth trip on the South Fork of Shenandoah .

Reactions: ConrodM and Ringer
Around these parts of Va they don't call those smokers.... usually "pig cookers" or just plain cookers. Probably no fire box at all. Some have a propane burner that runs down the center to get the charcoal rolling. Luray is nice this time of year. Haven't been up since the last smallmouth trip on the South Fork of Shenandoah .
Yep, they use these in the Raleigh NC area alot. Usually propane powered, no smoke, pig cooker. Used for whole hog exclusively.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky