Old school OKJ offset or new OKJ reverse flow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Lee's Summit, MO
Hi guys! I'm looking to jump into a offset. I have been considering a new reverse flow OKJ but found a original (1/4" steel) OKJ for sale for several hundred $ cheaper. It looks to be in decent shape, would need cleaning, paining fire box and a few rust spots on the wheels etc...
What are your thoughts? go for the thicker older one or the thinner reverse flow?
Thanks

Hi guys! I'm looking to jump into a offset. I have been considering a new reverse flow OKJ but found a original (1/4" steel) OKJ for sale for several hundred $ cheaper. It looks to be in decent shape, would need cleaning, paining fire box and a few rust spots on the wheels etc...
What are your thoughts? go for the thicker older one or the thinner reverse flow?
Thanks
Lots of thermal mass usually means consistent temperature. It will likely burn more fuel, but I would also go old school. Good luck.

After getting it home and doing a little research, this is not a original.
It looks to be an early camp chef version, SN 58033.
Steel is .1875" thick and the firebox and smoke stack are bolted on. Still thicker then the ones they sell now.
In the process of removing the rust from the legs and wheels. Already have 1/4 cord of white oak, all I could fit in the truck. Looking forward to the first fire and re-seasoning.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: Marknmd
Yes - I heard about that in an old forum post on another site. OKJ got bought out and backed off a bit from the original 1/4 inch - still pretty thick though. Then after a year or two, they went down again to only 250mm thick which is about .1 inch or 3/32 of an inch which is a long friggin' way from a quarter inch. You still have great potential for a great smoker. Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky