old propane tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ngoanmuc

Original poster
May 15, 2020
I have an old propane tank that is galvanized on the outside and am thinking of doing a smoker build with it. I am a welder by trade so I'm fully aware of the harmful fumes that galvanized metal can release when heated to certain temps. My question is what would be the best way to remove the galvanized plating from the outside? Just wondering the best way to approach this. Any advise and incite would be much appreciated. Thanks...

Dynamite comes to mind, never seen 1 galvanized ,maybe its just paint?

Reactions: TNJAKE
I agree with Mike. I've never seen a galvanized propane tank. Bunches of tanks painted with aluminum paint though. Aluminum is probably the most common around here.

How big is the tank? If its not to big I would just use a slap wheel like you would to remove galvanizing on a trailer etc. before welding. Just my two cents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky