Old Lang 84D Refurbished

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Many of you know I got this old style 84D in Nov 2020. Paid $2000 and thought it was a 60 only to learn it was bigger lol. Finally started cooking on it on the spring of 2021 and fell in love with cooking on it. Decided to give it a facelift. Here it is at the place I bought it. Quite a bit of surface rust is all I knew at the time. Later learned it had about a half inch gap in the diverter plate at the firebox.
78C38A6F-CAFA-4FEA-93CD-A27D931BEEDB.jpeg
634378DB-1BE1-4991-A4F8-FCB26F0360FD.jpeg
Sent it out to have the diverter plate patched, completely blasted and painted. Here it is after sandblasting
3EB45009-8FBD-4004-B46C-5056DBC93937.jpeg
6EC31660-8A14-48D7-A013-80D179171F14.jpeg
Here is the finished product.
8D0D81F4-E03C-4D58-9764-4C4D29A3499E.jpeg
C06CBE65-7AF7-4718-A727-EFF96E440A75.jpeg
I treated her to a new set of chrome wheels, just seemed right lol. The guy also fabbed me a missing damper wheel and new fire grate as well. I’m all in on this at $3950 between purchase price and facelift and couldn’t be happier. I need to fire it up this weekend to bake the paint for awhile. It’s triple coated with Rustoleum High Temp BBQ and Grill paint. Thanks for looking!

Jeff that is the identical smoker I have but yours certainly looks a whole lot better than mine. I had to repair the plate at the firebox on mine to and it wasn't any fun. That thing looks brand new

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff that is the identical smoker I have but yours certainly looks a whole lot better than mine. I had to repair the plate at the firebox on mine to and it wasn't any fun. That thing looks brand new
The guy that did it is a whole lot smaller than me. He said he ended up cutting out the slide channel for the upper rack and climbing in to do the work. Told me he smelled like giant bacon after haha.

The guy that did it is a whole lot smaller than me. He said he ended up cutting out the slide channel for the upper rack and climbing in to do the work. Told me he smelled like giant bacon after haha.

Yes sir that was about the way I did it as well but didn't have to cut the rail I have long arms. DId he tell you he about fell into the smoker before he got in at 6' 3 and 300 lbs I wasn't fitting inside lol. I put on a set of disposable coveralls before I started thankfully it was a cool day. Thank goodness for doors on both sides I had a friend pass me the tool I needed at the time I needed it like the grinder, vacuum hose, welding stuff, When he wasn't laughing his a$$ off he did take some pics but I later got his phone and deleted them before he sent them to very many of our friends :emoji_laughing: He and the ones he sent pics to still tease me about stuffing 15 lbs of sh** into a 10 lb sack.

It looks fantastic!!.. Looks like they did a quality job for you on it.. The wheels look great too!!
Your neighbors are gonna thinkbyou went out and baught a new one!!😆😆

That looks awesome Jeff! Are your neighbors lined up outside with hunks of meat yet?

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky