Oklahoma Joe Bronco sealant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBinGB

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
Hello all! I placed an order for a Oklahoma Joe Bronco today! It was on sale for a little over $250.

I noticed some people complain the joint where the two buckets meet sometimes leaks. I have been considering using some red RTV silicone sealant made for fireplaces when assembling to seal the joint.

Would that be a good idea?

Mine never leaked at all around that joint. I really wouldn't worry about it.

my bronco is supposed to be delivered wednesday and i'm aware of the leaks around the drum halves and i don't want it leaking on our new deck i built last summer . just my opinion but i DESPISE the the look of red RTV on grills , was gonna use gasket tape but i saw slowhands video and he used 1/4 inch washers on the underside so my cheap butt is gonna try that . he mentions it about 60 seconds into this video . i'm sure wider tape or better placement of the tap would have worked ..... but washers are much cheaper . take care , jeff

my bronco is supposed to be delivered wednesday and i'm aware of the leaks around the drum halves and i don't want it leaking on our new deck i built last summer . just my opinion but i DESPISE the the look of red RTV on grills , was gonna use gasket tape but i saw slowhands video and he used 1/4 inch washers on the underside so my cheap butt is gonna try that . he mentions it about 60 seconds into this video . i'm sure wider tape or better placement of the tap would have worked ..... but washers are much cheaper . take care , jeff

I've had a burn in and two cooks on my bronco so far. You are right, it leaks oil at the bolt holes but surprisingly it doesn't leak smoke. I am very impressed with how well it holds temps.

A word of advice though, use a hardwood briquette and not Kingsford blue bag. Please trust me

yep , it is amazing how consistently it holds temp . i can get about 10 hours at 250-260 on one load of wally world charcoal , about half a 16lb bag .
i'll probably end up doing the lava lock too .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky