Ok, here we go.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ribwizzard

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 10, 2012
Orlando and Tampa Florida
I grab-ed this 120 at a scrap yard today for 40 bucks. Looks in pretty good shape.

They must have just popped the valves out because it really stinks of propane bad!  As soon as I got back , I filled with soap and water so it can soak.   I'll work on fire box while it soaks for a week or two.

This one will be a compact trailer build with removable tongue , able to be wheeled into place by hand and not take up much room.  Basically..a tank with a firebox mounted on an axle with a small serving rack.  I have not decided if I will install propane rod or not.

Also, things have been really busy with business ( comes first) and I have not been able to get back to some of the questions people have asked .... I promise after the first of the month to do better at getting back to everyone.

5fee1918_tankintruck.png

Can't wait to see another great build

Gary

It will be Saturday before I start rounding up materials for firebox and putting design together. I have something in my head for a bit different air flow, but have not had a moment of piece yet to put much thought into it.  Spent the morning quoting a job at one of the theme park rides doing some machine work to it, yesterday was all about designing a car shredder guard. My minds on overtime right now, looking forward to getting back to simple things. ( call it my therapy )

Understand completely  You gotta take care of business.  Glad you said something about doing something a little different. When we build, I am always thinking of different ideas, be interesting to see what you come up with, might want to steel some of yours on our next one. I had a couple of people ask where I came up with my ideas, I said I take bits and pieces of different smoker builds, mine and other peoples, put them together and see if they work. So far haven't had to make too many major corrections a few mods and tweaks here and there. Always looking to build a better smoker each time.  Keep us posted

Gary

Didnt get too much done today, slept late and just did a bunch of measuring and thinking before I started cutting steel. Anybody got ideals for small springs for the axle, Im not sure how I will do that and keep it compact unless I have no springs, and I dont think that would be good.

I did get a firebox started. 24" x 24" x 18".  I think the rounded broke edges will make a nice touch. I will weld the seams from the back side also, ...another day, going to get some lunch and take a nap!

900x900px-LL-887bc881_120firebox1.png

R W   If you are going to cook pigs I'd go single door

Gary

Ok,

So how important is pull out racks to everyone?   I was thinking of not making this one with pull out racks because of the mess they make, and just install the serving shelf at the same level.

Up to you ...... But you can always use an extra rack from time to time. You would have it if you need it.  Just my thoughts

Gary

I was going to make the upper racks removable, but thinking of making the lower rack stationary and out of round stock like I did this one. Price is about the same for the expanded or round stock when it comes to stainless.

These racks have been so easy to clean,

900x900px-LL-83734148_a31.png

On my  SS gas grill the grates are round stock They were set into square tubing that was drilled so they could spin. Also have a grate cleaner tool that fits the round stock so you can run it up and down to knock off all the big stuck on stuff. The grates are removable

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky