Ok..got a smoker..got a rack of ribs...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scandall

Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Eastern Washington
and the first post i read...Cabin Fever said they bought the same smoker I did and threw it in the landfill!

My ribs have the dry rub on them and are ready to go in a couple of hours. I think I should use my grill for the first time

if for nothing else the experience, but it sounds like a mistake has been made and I'll quote Cabin Fever "I don't know

what I was expecting from an $89.00 smoker in the first place."  Looking forward to advice and chatting with everybody!

Scandall

What smoker you have? What kind of ribs? An $89 smoker can be a good one. Might have to do a few mods to it, but that is the case with almost any store bought smoker.

Hey, Harper (if I may)

It's a Char-broil smoker, BBQ Grill combo. It has a big brother! I figure if it can do all those things i wasn't completely going wrong. I could use it for other things as well. I have a nice gas BBQ, and The Big Easy from Char-Broil also (which is awesome). I'm just new to smoking...other than my Big Chief, which i have smoked a lot of fish and sausage in, I want to step up to whole meat cuts, ribs etc. that's why i bought this smoker.

I have a single meaty rack of pork back ribs dry rubbed and ready to go!

Scandall

Harper is fine, lol. So you have a horizontal offset. That is the only smoker I have used. First a homemade one, and now I have a Char-Griller smoker.  You have the Duo Jr? I looked at one when I bought my Char-Griller. My oldest brother has the Char-Broil Duo, the big one. I prefer the 3-2-1 method for spare ribs and the 2-2-.5 for baby backs. I use Jeff's rub on them, after slathering some mustard on them first. I put a bit of apple juice in when I foil them. I never smoke just a rack of ribs. I either have a brisket or a butt in there, and almost always have some ABTs and usually a fatty or two.

I paid 10.00 for my no name elce. smoker and this is its 3rd year of great smoking...Hang in there and learn how to use it your way...Welcome and good luck on the first smoke.

Welcome to the forum!  You'll get lots of good tips and advice here, no matter what you smoke with.  Might take a little finesse, but I bet you'll be putting out great food real soon! Where in E.WA you at?  Cheers!

Scandall, now don't go and get discouraged right off the bat, I started smoking about 9 years ago with a used El Cheapo Brinkmann, graduated to a Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit and am now the proud owner of a Master Forge 2 door LP gas smoker.  Since you have had some smoking experience using your Big Chief, but you may want to try the FREE 5-DAY E-COURSE offered by Jeff to anyone who joins the site.  I had been smoking meat for about 6 years when I first got the E-Course, I really learned a whole lot from it, some things I had never even thought about.  You can also read more about your smoker under Smokers & More. You can also find information by using the SEARCH  bar near the top of the page or in the WIKI  section. There are a lot of good people here and we all want to help you out so remember this, the only dumb question that you can ask here.......is the one you do not ask!  Welcome to SMF we are glad your here with the rest of us!

Your SMF Friend,

Barry 
biggrin.gif

Sweet! Great advice from you all, and I'm just going to dig in and shoot the moon! My smoke will start at noon and my friends are comin' over around 5 o'clock for BEER!

I'll take some snapshots, and let ya know how we rolled!   Really, thanks for the advice!

Scandall

Yeah, hang in there with the smoker you have for a while. I, as well, started with an ECB and still have it tucked away as backup. Do some basic smoking on it with cheap chickens, maybe a fattie or chuck roast and see how it works out. With a few mods and learning how it likes to be fed you'll do ok. I've seen some guys on here with vintage units turn out some awesome grub......just keep it low and slow....have fun today

Welcome to SMF - looking forward to seeing the results of that first smoke

Welcome to SMF! Your rig will be fine. It just takes some figuring it out. My new rig runs a world away different than my old one. Once you figure it out life is grand with smoke.....and beer.....and Q-view. good smoking my friend.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky