OH! YUM!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
So I gathered up a 9+ pound Pork Loin yesterday.
I cut it into chunks I could fit into my premade-from-a-roll, 11" X 11" and froze up 5 vacuumed bag chunks.
I kept out an end that was pretty big to make myself a pile of Pork Loin Jerky to enjoy when sitting in L.A. Traffic pulling a rental trailer.
I carry a 30 ounce vacuum glass (Tumbler) of water and ice to sip on, and a jug of additional water for refills for those long days.
I found that XM stations of C&W, Jerky, and cold water, keeps me entertained while dealing with traffic morons. I settle in behind an 18 wheeler, munch, and enjoy tunes.
So I seasoned mine up with a simple recipe, and added 1/2 tsp of Cyan to ward off most interest. (OH! It's too peppery!) :rolleyes:o_O ;)
Heh, heh, more for me. My little buddy likes it, but drinks a lot of water after.

I used this recipe, but used Pork Loin, and because I'm a deviate, I added 1/2 tsp of Cyan Pepper to the marinade for heat, and I used my new Foodsaver Vacuum Marinade Chamber over night to marinade my pork loin after slicing it. (It worked wonderfully)
I DO NOT use any liquid smoke. If anything, I tend to be a bit heavy handed with my Garlic and Pepper. I like the Cyan for that "afterburn". (That insures my jerky gets left alone around here. :p )
5 hours in the Presto Dehydro was right for me.

Cracked open some beers, a jar of Al's Pickles, and several handfuls of this Pork Loin Jerky.
The 5 YO Grand Daughter approves of Al's Dill Pickles,
but the jerky is too hot, and she isn't old enough for beer yet.
Nice Family Saturday.

Little Ava told her Mama, "I'm sugar. Because Grandpa said so." :rolleyes:
I don't have much influence around here... :p;)

I think Pork Loin is my favorite Jerky meat. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: gmc2003
Hey Sonny, Thanks a lot for the link to Jerkyholic. New to me.

Your pork jerky sounds great.

I'm not so much of a dill pickle guy, but Al's recipe is intriguing, (And a masterful post).

Reactions: SonnyE
Sounds like a really good jerky and granddaughter time Sonny - good for you.

Point for sure.
Chris

Teriyaki jerky is one of my favorite styles of jerky. Adding some heat with the cayenne and making it spicy would only make it that much better.

Made my first batch of pork jerky last month. It was Thai style. My next batch will be teriyaki style.

Sounds like a fun family day!!
Al

It was Al.
Little Ava (5) was spending the night. Perfect time to pop open a jar of Pickles I made last weekend.
Man were they good! I was pleased little Ava liked them, too.
We about wiped out the jar. :eek:
Grandma said we both smelled like Garlic. :oops:
:p:D

Hey Sonny, Thanks a lot for the link to Jerkyholic. New to me.

Your pork jerky sounds great.

I'm not so much of a dill pickle guy, but Al's recipe is intriguing, (And a masterful post).

I really like using Pork Loin for my Jerky anymore.
First, it is inexpensive. So I get more pounds for my bucks.
And it's easy to do. I like vacuum marinading, but began by just leaving it in the fridge to marinade. (Usually overnight)

Al's Pickle Recipe is great! Try it some time.
I tried it with a single pint jar, and no vacuum. So Good!
I got myself a package of jars with Al's Pickles in mind.
I use my Ziplock Vacuum Sealer and the Jar Sealers with a vacuum hose.
(NOT NECESSARY) But I wanted to speed things up.
If you have any Mason Jars around, you would be all set to try it.
You may find you like it. ;)

Sounds like a really good jerky and granddaughter time Sonny - good for you.

Point for sure.
Chris

It was Chris! She and her little sister and older Brother all Love pickles.
I was really glad to see her scarf up on Al's Pickles.
We discovered she likes watching the World Series, too.
Shouldn't be surprised though. She is a very athletic little girl. Loves the trampoline, Cartwheels for days, and loves her soccer team.
I need to find a reliable source for pickle sized cucumbers. I did make some pickle chips along with my spears with larger hothouse Cuc's.

Teriyaki jerky is one of my favorite styles of jerky. Adding some heat with the cayenne and making it spicy would only make it that much better.

Made my first batch of pork jerky last month. It was Thai style. My next batch will be teriyaki style.

Yeah, it is becoming one of my favorites.
At first, I added a whole tsp, but it was a bit too hot.
If the jerky comes out too hot, it takes a lot more beer. (During the off hours, of course) ;)
But 1/2 tsp seems to be just right to me. Dog likes it, I like it, But the wife don't like it. :rolleyes:

When I remove it from the dehydrator, I cut mine into bite size pieces into a brown paper bag (Lunch sized) to cool.
Of course, my little bud is right there to clean up any that accidentally falls to the floor. :rolleyes:
I just use Will's recipe anymore, with my added 1/2 tsp of heat.
Not overly sweet, but spiked with a nice afterburn.
I do leave out the Liquid Smoke, myself.

And peppers are high in Vitamin A, so it is good for you. LOL!
(Or is it just that Peppers tend to open your eyes wider? :eek:)

Reactions: ksblazer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky