Oh, the good ol' days...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

02ebz06

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 1, 2012
Rio Rancho, NM
Remember when you could get a rack of ribs for $6.00 ?
Found this pic from 2017.

Ribs 003.JPG

And they were making a profit back then... Just think what they are making now... Ridiculous ...

Like Oil refinery's... A 3 billion dollar profit PER QUARTER isn't enough... "We need to raise prices.. We didn't meet our goal of 5 billion this quarter" ...

BULLSHIZZET

And they were making a profit back then... Just think what they are making now... Ridiculous ...

Like Oil refinery's... A 3 billion dollar profit PER QUARTER isn't enough... "We need to raise prices.. We didn't meet our goal of 5 billion this quarter" ...

BULLSHIZZET
True That, but that said,,,,

Inflation is effecting their bottom line too. Corporations don’t pay for tax increases or inflationary extra cost, but rather the consumer pays that. We the people pay for everything in the end.

I miss those days of 0.79/pd pork butts! Now I get excited if I see one less than $2.00/pd.

Jim

I remember getting very pissy when brisket went from .99 (not on sale) to 1.49/1.59 - it jumped pretty much overnight and then when the acoughalypse hit it went from 1.99 to over 5 bucks (both Sams and wally)

Reactions: Nodak21
Remember when you could get a rack of ribs for $6.00 ?
Found this pic from 2017.

View attachment 696381
I just bought a 3 pack of Swift baby backs at Costco $32.
Then I figured I may as well pick up a single rack at the supermarket to make it an even four racks, they wanted $24 for one rack of baby backs, same brand........SCREW that, I'm not paying that much for one rack.

I saw those at Costco too. Passed because I didn't want 3, and also didn't want to spent $16 for rib meat and $16 for the bones .

True That, but that said,,,,

Inflation is effecting their bottom line too. Corporations don’t pay for tax increases or inflationary extra cost, but rather the consumer pays that. We the people pay for everything in the end.
JBS had a record net profit of $4.4 billion for the 12-month period ending March 31, 2022 — a 70% increase over the previous 12 months.

Tyson had a record $4.1 billion net profit for the year ending March 31, 2022 — a 91% increase over the previous 12 months.

Cargill is a privately-held company and isn’t required to publicly report its financial information. Bloomberg reported last August that confidential financial documents showed Cargill delivered a record $4.9 billion in net income for its fiscal year ending May 31, 2021 — up 60% over the previous 12 months.

Marfrig reported a net profit of $820.1 million in 2021, a 32% increase over 2020. "This was our largest profit ever," the Brazilian-based company said in its annual report. Net income dropped during the first quarter of 2022 due to the company’s $360 million stock purchase in BRF, a Brazilian poultry and pork processor. Even so, Marfrig’s chief financial officer said it was the company’s "best operational first quarter."

(via Politifact mid-2022)

A significant component of the inflation spike was corporate brazenness in jacking up prices just because they could. However, greedflation is absolutely a ratcheting mechanism, as shareholders now *expect* these numbers to continue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky