Oh hai

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ej0rge

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
Utah
Yeah i joined in 2011 when i was fooling around with a pid-controlled clay pot smoker.

I am back i guess. Yesterday i bought a 2019 GMG Daniel Boone Prime Plus for three benjamins in very good condition. Everything works, nothing is particularly dirty or worn. I mean the window is blacked out but it is not as though there is anything to see in there? Indirect heat means it would be pretty dark even if the smoke didn't black it out.

The tipping point for me was a friend preaching how well the pizza oven accessory works. I've been wanting a pizza oven for a while. Something capable of Neapolitan temperatures and bake times, and it sounds like the GMG can pull that off. I was considering dedicated pizza ovens that cost more than this GMG + pizza accessory.

I'm familiar with the physics of wood pyrolisis and Yeah i understand that at high temperatures this is a pellet-fired convection oven that imparts very little smoke flavor. That the good smoke is had at lower burn temperatures. I see that the GMG control app wants to know if i am smoking or grilling and said something about keeping the fan on longer for smoking? I'll figure it out.

I'm aware that the firebox on these gets hotter than hell and more smoke is had by putting a smoke tube or cast iron vessel on top of the heat spreader.

Looking forward to participating some more after a decade

Welcome back from Iowa! That's a steal and you should feel guilty :emoji_blush:...but I wouldn't either. Looking forward to your posts with pizzas as I just got a new GMG not long ago as well.

Ryan

My buddy does pizza on his GMG all the time. He puts it right on the grate. Just be sure you clean the drip pan and under really good before you crank up the heat. At max temp you are at flash temp for oil. I also wait for all the old oil to burn off before you put the pizza on. FYI, we do pizza often and I like mine on the grate and the wife likes here on a pizza stone. Oh and yes you got a good deal!

Welcome from Virginia! I was cooking with a group last Saturday and they did a breakfast pizza on a GMG that turned out great. They just put them on a pizza stone and closed the lid till cheese bubbled. Pretty slick. Can’t wait to see your posts!

My buddy does pizza on his GMG all the time. He puts it right on the grate. Just be sure you clean the drip pan and under really good before you crank up the heat. At max temp you are at flash temp for oil. I also wait for all the old oil to burn off before you put the pizza on. FYI, we do pizza often and I like mine on the grate and the wife likes here on a pizza stone. Oh and yes you got a good deal!

I like to make hand-stretched thin-crust pizzas and am looking for a bake time under 90 seconds. The crust is just different when it sears hot enough. Hard to explain. There's a distinctive fragrance too.

The pizza oven attachment is out for delivery today. I like the way that it focuses the firebox' heat on the stone. I may actually decide to upgrade the stone to a fibrament with a custom welded heat spreader (since the fibrament material can't be directly exposed to flame, you have to put a steel shield under it in this sort of application).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky