Offset smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickwren14

Original poster
Feb 7, 2020
Hey so im wanting to build an offset smoker from my old propane tank and was wondering if anyone knew a cheaper way to get a chimney(smoke stack). Needs to be around 4 feet tall with a 6" diameter but all the ones I find are insanely expensive.

If you have a heavy equipment place close I would stop in, they will get cylinders that cant be rebuilt and will be scraped , I used a 4" 1 on a reverse flow I built as a young man 30 or so years ago, didn't know that's what it was called then as no computer or knew anybody that smoked food. good luck and have fun

Is there a local metal recycling yard near you? They usually have all kinds of stuff laying around for cheap

18C94D75-FE92-4A5A-9368-884EE54E01EB.jpeg
When I made my smoker I used a short section of pipe and then slide a piece of stove pipe inside it. This also allowed me to use a stove pipe damper in the stove pipe. You can get stove pipe in different diameters at tractor supply and it is not expensive.

All the above and check with some fab and welding shops

Gary

Thanks yall, think Im gonna check out the metal scrap yards and see what I can find.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky