Offset question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ
I have a Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, which is an offset smoker with a big tower to place/hang meats. When I bought it, I was intending on using charcoal briquettes but soon learned I couldn't get enough heat. I switched to wood and get pleny of heat now. I am able to regulate the heat easy enough with wood. My question is if I switch to lump and put it in a basket, will I get enough heat to keep it going at least 225 degrees? Regular charcoal won't cut it, I tried several times. I would rather switch to lump and use wood chunks than burn straight wood where I get alot of white smoke. Anyone have any thoughts?

I would get a few bags of royal oak lump and try that.It burns WAY hotter than bricketts and with alot less ash.I just did a smoke and didn't realize i only had a half a bag of lump so i had to get brricketts.It was very cold that day and i really struggled to keep my temps up. I had never had that problem before with lump at those cold temps before. Give it a try and see how it works for you!

I have the brinkmann deluxe and use two baskets side by side with the RO . works great also added baffle to the firebox entering the vert chamber. with two basket full it will last me eight hours, so happen that two baskets is half of a 20Lb bag. add some wet wood chips some times to change it up.  ran straight wood (white oak) once too hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky