Offset Firebox Resting on Ground

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smileykj

Original poster
Jan 22, 2022
Hi SMF,

Noobie here and looking for first charcoal offset smoker. Starting off searching for used but sturdy one and have a candidate albeit with unique design. Made entirely with 1/4” steel, it is perfect size for patio. Unique design in that the fire box is trapezoid and it rests on the ground so that legs are not needed on that side. It is a straight through smoker with the only two legs (with wheels) on the other side along with the stack.

Curious to know if anyone has insights/thoughts/perceptions regarding a firebox which sits on the ground. Obviously ground where it would sit would have to withstand heat (e.g. concrete). Maybe too large to get cooking chamber hot or needs a lot of fuel to reach temp?

Appreciate your comments!

Attachments

• E24F0AA0-FABD-43D7-82E7-FEDB01C3FCCF.jpeg
    E24F0AA0-FABD-43D7-82E7-FEDB01C3FCCF.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 39
  • D8BBD9D6-703B-457E-ACEB-338AF264704F.jpeg
    D8BBD9D6-703B-457E-ACEB-338AF264704F.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Pic received and added to post. Hope to see it in person soon.

Update:
Just looked at it in person and there are wheels under the firebox. Couple other points. One owner made about 15 yrs ago from Texas iron. The firebox is not insulated and the entire exterior of the FB and CC were cold galvanized about 5 yrs ago. Some of the paint is chipping off as previous owner mentioned it might have been headed up a little to quick.

Last edited:
I'd be leary of it with the cold galvanize on it.

I'd also like to see the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber or see it running to double check the airflow thru it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky